Extend selection in Lister

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

amach

Extend selection in Lister

Post by *amach »

Hi, Christian!

Could you please improve Lister to allow one to extend his text selection (e.g. select something, and then hold <Shift> and click somewhere else) ???

Thanks.
Amach
If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10.9)
Clo

Re: Extend selection in Lister

Post by *Clo »

amach wrote:Hi, Christian!
Could you please improve Lister to allow one to extend his text selection (e.g. select something, and then hold <Shift> and click somewhere else) ???
Thanks.
Amach

:D Hi!
:wink: This should be often useful (if possible)
¤ I support your idea.
:) Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, currently separate text selection areas aren't supported.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
amach

Post by *amach »

No, Christian, I'm not talking about selecting two different blocks of text, but:
  • 1) select a tiny block where I want to be the beginning of my selection
    2) scroll to another point of the text where I want to end the selection
    3) hold Shift
    4) click where selection should end
The result should be a bigger selection beginning where that tiny block beginned and ending where I clicked holding Shift. Amost any text editor can do that and it's useful to select big blocks of text delimited by specific strings that you don't know where they are. In the current version, you need to find the block beginning, then start selection there and scroll selection down until you find the desired end, which is absolutely not easy in some cases. The best should be selecting the beginning (which can be found through F7), select a tiny block, search the end via scroll and/or F7, and then hold Shift and click there. Then we could copy that big block or do anything else.

Amach
If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10.9)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ah, I see - that's a good idea! What you can do is hold down the left mouse button and PageUp/PageDown to the end.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
amach

Post by *amach »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Ah, I see - that's a good idea! What you can do is hold down the left mouse button and PageUp/PageDown to the end.
But you cannot use F7 in this process to find out where your desired end is...

If you're handling some log files, what you consider the end of your selection can be mixed whithin many other characters, making it very difficult to find by looking it in the screen. Again, the best would be if we could search it with F7 and/or scroll.

Amach
amach

Post by *amach »

amach wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Ah, I see - that's a good idea! What you can do is hold down the left mouse button and PageUp/PageDown to the end.
But you cannot use F7 in this process to find out where your desired end is...

If you're handling some log files, what you consider the end of your selection can be mixed whithin many other characters, making it very difficult to find by looking it in the screen. Again, the best would be if we could search it with F7 and/or scroll.

Amach
In fact, you CAN use F7 while holding down mouse button to extend selection, but you CAN'T release mouse button neither to click anywhere in F7 dialog box (or else your selection will be cancelled) nor to type what you can find (it's not much comfortable to type while holding the mouse button).
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

There is a poll about this subject, please vote, many of us try to pusuade Christian about having a cursor in Lister...
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2338
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!