Move/copy without waiting, algorithm of independence

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Perhaps TC could build an exception list to be presented to the user at the end of a requested process, with disposition options for the members in the list.

Further, if TC supported a "test" mode that made all the changes "virtually" before attempting the actual physical moves and copies or what have you, then TC could present the exceptions quickly BEFORE executing the requests.

This second option would be my preference. I have often wanted a "What If" scenario that stacked a series of pending operations, then let me safely observe the results before executing them.

The second option would present some issues in volatile environments. Perhaps disclaimers about the inability to predict the future of very active network shares (for instance) might be appropriate.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Jqn

Post by *Jqn »

2JohnFredC
Further, if TC supported a "test" mode that made all the changes "virtually" before attempting the actual physical moves and copies or what have you, then TC could present the exceptions quickly BEFORE executing the requests.
But a "test" mode will not trap all possible errors, like read or write error, disk full, and so...
TC will stop until user's entry, and a lot of time will be lost

BR
Joaquin
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 16-01-2004 14:16:58 +0000 Hacker wrote:

H> why not have an option in the Options of the Copy dialog
H> to "skip" all "errors" and let the users decide what to
H> do about them at the end of the copy?

Don't you know, Jedi, this is absolutely not in Christian style to let the users to decide what to do in such a complex situations! =)))[/face]
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I should have stressed "at the end"... :)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
totfun

Post by *totfun »

As I said in a post of mine, I'd like an option like this "Skip all but save the selection of the skipped files"
This way, TC doesn't ask you and you can decide what to do with the skipped files at the end of copy operation.
But it would be enough for me "Skip all but (re-)ask at the end", too.