Total Commander extDir v1.6.0.5 - Extended directory creator

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bluestar

Total Commander extDir v1.6.0.5 - Extended directory creator

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]Total Commander[/face] [face=tahoma]extDir[/face] ( Addon )
Extended directory creator utility for Total Commander.

[face=tahoma]Homepage:
[/face][face=tahoma]Direct download link:
  • Download (Latest version: v1.6.0.5 | Release date: 24-12-2013 | 1,31 MB | MD5 (exe): 82dd52f2e0f772f24c066a77a8b29c0d)
    ( alternatively you can always download an older - latest stable - version by clicking here, if you have problems with the new one... )
[/face][face=tahoma]Screenshots: What is it good for?
  • In a few words: this small utility extends your Total Commander's directory creating capabilities - after installing it, you can create a bunch of (even multi-leveled!) directories with a single click, with numerous possibilities...
[/face][face=tahoma]Features:
  • [NEW!] Ability to set the directory attributes
  • [NEW!] Ability to create your own plugins (special variables)
  • [NEW!] Batch directory creation (Decimal / Roman / ABC)
  • [NEW!] Live Replacements (optional)
  • [NEW!] Configuration & Template Manager dialogs
  • [NEW!] Russian, Dutch, Spanish, German, Danish, Chinese, Ukrainian, Korean language support (built-in)
    Thanks to [Yustas.NeO], A. Van Landschoot, Lopeshare, Der Schrauber, petermad, efree, LonerD, cmlee (in order)
  • [NEW!] 6 built-in window color themes (optional)
  • [NEW!] VirtualPanel (wfx) plugin support
  • [NEW!] Environment variable list
  • Built-in installer & uninstaller for easier usage (run the utility out of TC's directory to activate the installer)
  • Full integration to Total Commander (F7 / Shift + F7 / user-given key combination)
  • Normal directory creation mode: almost the same as Total Commander's New Directory dialog, with a lot of advantages
  • Extended directory creation mode: you can type in (or load) a list of directories, then create them with a single click
  • Support for multi-leveled directory creation (create directories with more than one subdirs)
  • Templates - create directory with predefined templates (e.g. "New Directory (%D-%N-%y)")
  • Replacements: you can use environment variables (like %OS% or %USERNAME%) in the name of the new directory
  • Basic variables: you can use vars like %s (current second), %h (current hour), %x (unix time) etc
  • Special variables: you can use vars like {pc} (current PC name), and {wact} (current Winamp track's title)
  • Drag & Drop support (change the current directory by dragging a new dir to the extDir's window; you can also drag & drop files there, in this case the same named directories will be created)
  • Intelligent selection: press Ctrl + Tab to select the next part of the new directory's name (the next part after space)
  • Instant Modifiers: Space2Dot, Dot2Space, Invert Case - more to come, stay tuned! (also waiting for your suggestions...)
  • Refresh the current path in extDir simply by pressing F5 or Ctrl + R key combo after navigating to a new directory in Total Commander
  • Edit the current path manually (double-clicking on the path) - Total Commander is automatically navigated to the new path, if it exists
  • Enter directory after creation (optional)
  • Close extDir after directory creation (optional)
  • Undo function
  • ... and much more!
Compatibility:
  • >= Total Commander 7.00 ( heavily tested under 7.57a & 8.01 )
Version history:
  • You can check the complete list by clicking here.
Known bugs, limitations:
  • Installation problems? Be sure to run this utility unzipped & (if it's possible) with administrator rights directly from Total Commander.
    Please make sure you are running the utility out of Total Commander's directory (for example: c:\Downloads\tc extDir.exe) - this is the only way the installer activates.
  • Limitation: lack of Unicode support atm (an unicode version is already under development, it's in alpha phase)
  • Complete documentation is on the way too - in the meantime please check this example on how to use the "Extended mode" of the utility

Translators needed:
  • Do you feel you could translate this utility to your (native) language? It's actually pretty easy - just download this language file, open it with Notepad (or any other lightweight text editor), then post the finished work here, or simply mail me (you can find my contact mail in the utility's installer), and your language file will be in the next public version.
  • Important notice (an easy way to check your own translation): click here.

Hope you like it, questions, comments, suggestions & bug reports are very welcome.

( There's a bonus easter egg in the software, hope you guys are goin' to find it. =P )

[/face]
Last edited by Bluestar on 2015-04-12, 22:02 UTC, edited 83 times in total.
jslegers

Post by *jslegers »

Hi,

The installation hangs at Step 3.
I have installed TCM on the default location.

John
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Hi John,

Thanks for you report. I'm almost sure the problem is that your "wincmd.ini" file can't be found in Application Data, probably it is in "Windows" (the default dir) or Total Commander's main directory - the problem will be fixed in a couple of hours.

If you'd like to manually install it while the fix arrives, just follow the next steps:

01. Close Total Commander's every instance.
02. Open your "wincmd.ini" file (usually in Application Data or Windows directory), and add the following lines (be sure that [Shortcuts] won't be a duplicated entry):

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
F7=em_extDir
03. Save the file.
04. Open your "usercmd.ini" file (if it doesn't exists, create a new file with this name), then add the following lines (instead of "c:\totalcmd\" use the path to your TC's directory):

Code: Select all

[em_extDir]
button=c:\totalcmd\extTools\tc extDir.exe
cmd=c:\totalcmd\extTools\tc extDir.exe
path=c:\totalcmd\extTools\
05. Save it, and you're done - this way you can use the utility by pressing F7 key in Total Commander.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2011-10-06, 12:44 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
infimum

Post by *infimum »

It is required that "tc extDir.exe" have to reside in a parent folder named "extDir". Is this necessary? Because there is my own way of organizing subfolders under "c:\totalcmd\", so I would appreciate if this requirement could be dropped.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@John: Please, could you check that you have writing access to "wincmd.ini" & "usercmd.ini" files, and to Total Commander's directory (or just try installing it with Administrator rights)?

@infimum: I've made some modifications, in 1.4b you can put the utility's executable to any custom subdir(s) inside Total Commander's directory - soon it will be up - until then, if you want, you can run the 1.4a without any problem from Total Commander's main directory (some additional help by clicking here).
jslegers

Post by *jslegers »

Hi,

I have full rights to the files.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

1.4b is up (the links in the first post have been updated) - sorry for being a bit late.

@John: Could you please check if you still have installation issues using the new version?
I've checked it under XP & Win7 with administrator rights, and it works just fine here with custom TC directories in both cases.

Changelog:

[face=tahoma][2011-10-10] Total Commander extDir 1.4b
* Fixed: now the installer uses environment variables to get current Total Commander & wincmd.ini file's path
* Fixed: language-related minor gui bugs
* Fixed: version info (1.4.0.2)
* Fixed: other minor bugfixes (mainly of the installer)

[/face]
jslegers

Post by *jslegers »

Hello,

It crashes when I start the installer :

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: tc extDir.exe
Application Version: 1.4.0.2
Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
Fault Module Name: tc extDir.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.4.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 2a425e19
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000a6255
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1043
Additional Information 1: a6c3
Additional Information 2: a6c3ecb644ad917c3fcffb39a09c7a18
Additional Information 3: dc1c
Additional Information 4: dc1c928785801237cc4eb73ed6e03ffe

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

MD5 check sum is ok.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Really strange. It looks like the utility can't get the needed environment variables - are you running version 7.00 of Total Commander or newer?
Can i ask that what type of OS are you using? (32/64 bit & which version of Windows?)
Last edited by Bluestar on 2011-10-10, 12:40 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
jslegers

Post by *jslegers »

Windows 7 SP1 Ent 32 Bit TC 7.56a.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Thanks, now i'm trying to reproduce the crash.

// IMPORTANT
Anybody out there still having installation issues other than jslegers (John)? Please, report me if you do.
yeskky

Post by *yeskky »

Oh no!
After installing v1.4b it resets my wincmd.ini settings to default values!
#222405 Single user licence
Axe1

Post by *Axe1 »

Please fix initial window position.
1) extDir's window always opens on primary monitor even if I have Total Commander opened on second monitor.
2) extDir's should be centered on Total Commander's window. Not sure if it can be done properly, but please check if yo can do that.

Thanks.

PS. Also please write instructions for manual installing into readme file. Automatic installing is good, but I'm worried about loosing my settings.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@yeskky: No way, you mean you've only lost the extDir utility-related config values after the installation, aren't you?
The installer has really nothing to do with the other wincmd.ini values...

@Axe1: Thanks for reporting these window positioning bugs - i'm going to fix them in a couple of days, in the next public version.

However I think theres really nothing to worry about regarding to the installation - the utility is constantly tested on 5 PC's (win7sp1, xpsp3 [*3], xpsp3 [virtualpc]), and there weren't any case when the installer would "reset" the wincmd.ini to default values - but just for safety's sake i've created a manual installation guide (the first post is updated too).

:arrow: Manual installation guide
Last edited by Bluestar on 2011-10-10, 23:03 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
yeskky

Post by *yeskky »

I mean all!
I lost my color, custom columns, hotkeys settins and etc.
#222405 Single user licence