Sometimes a very slow move action

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sambuca

Sometimes a very slow move action

Post by *sambuca »

Normally when I move (F6) a file on my NAS, it happens within a second. But sometimes (once every 20 times?), suddenly moving a similar file, suddenly takes 30 seconds of even more!

Very strange and very unreproducable. So I was curious if other people have seen this behaviour and if they have noticed any special circumstances when this happened.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

I reported this to Christian some time ago (few years? can't remember exactly), it had been a long standing issue in TC. We could never work out what the problem was however. With my system, I only do local moves (so hard drives within the PC - no NAS, no network etc). The only clue we had in trying to figure it out was that it seemed to be dependent on how quickly I pressed the Enter button after hitting the move (F6) key.

So, if I hit F6 and then immediately hit Enter, the problem had a chance of occurring. If I hit F6, then waited a second before hitting Enter, the problem would not occur. It seemed to me that when TC did this, it was treating the file operation as a copy (copy the file then delete the old copy) instead of a move (simply update the MFT).

As I say though, not enough information for Christian to reproduce the behaviour. Meh, that happens sometimes.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No idea, maybe a virus scanner, maybe a multi-homed network (multiple network cards, e.g. virtual Vmware network cards).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sambuca

Post by *sambuca »

Hmm, I have my virus scanner (Avira free) on all the time, but this issue only happens once in a while. My computer runs Win7, has 1 wired network card (integrated on mainboard), no wireless. No Vmware. The network is small, this 1 PC (1Gbps) and 1 NAS (1Gbps), both on a Fritzbox modemrouter, with 2 cabled (1Gbps) connections.
This is only a small issue and not very important, only slightly annoying. But very strange why this happens.
I tend to hit the "Enter" key very fast after the move command, so maybe this is indeed the case.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe something (e.g. the virus scanner) is locking the source file? When the direct move with MoveFileEx fails, TC will first copy the file, and then try to delete the source. This will of course take longer than a direct move...
romulous

Post by *romulous »

ghisler(Author) wrote:When the direct move with MoveFileEx fails, TC will first copy the file, and then try to delete the source.
Interesting, I didn't know that - but it fits nicely with my impression that TC copies the file instead of moving it when the slowness happens. An AV scanner being a potential cause of the problem makes more sense as well, rather than the speed at which you hit the Enter key (like sambuca, I too hit it really quickly).

Now that the thought about the AV has been put into my head, I don't know if the problem has occurred since I moved from NOD32 to MSE (though there is the known problem reported recently in these forums where TC cannot delete a file while MSE is scanning it). As I can usually tell when MSE is having troubles with a file (TC does not display the file icon until MSE finishes scanning it), I will keep an eye out for the next time the slowness happens (if the file has no icon, MSE has it locked, if the file has an icon, the AV is not the problem).
TC_beta

Post by *TC_beta »

This happens with me too, I was always used to the high speed when at moving files. Since I installed MSE, I could tell when MSE locks files, even the file is already copied at target side, that file still remains in source window. Then after a sec or a few, finally the file disappeared at source side.

In the past I don't really like to use any AV because of the resources. Then finally I decided on MSE, thought its neat and good enough. But sometimes MSE irritates me when I'm working on files (and I dont have patience). But well I shouldn't complain if I want a clean pc :)

Anyway thought you might want to know if its MSE or not :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I never had this problem with MSE (that TC would copy the file). However, MSE really causes extreme delays with some files, especially self-exetracting EXE files.
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

I have similar but always reproducible problems with 64-bit version (Win 7) and copying or moving from gentoo samba server over gbit LAN. No antivirus and only Windows firewall enabled.

I always freshly extracted TC to new folder, so configuration is equal

Code: Select all

from smb                 to smb
tc80x64beta20         3,5 - 4 MB/s!!!!!       ~ 38 MB/s
tc80x32beta20          ~ 19 MB/s              ~ 35 MB/s
explorer               ~ 28 MB/s              ~ 40 MB/s
The direction from samba to local is constant (no hanging) and very slow with 64bit TC.
Priority setting or advanced copy methods doesn't help, only "use copy+paste via Explorer" helps. I checked 64beta14 and 64beta2 and it is the same.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems like your Samba server doesn't like the Windows function CopyFileEx. Sorry, there is nothing I can do here. You can try with a different copy method (Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete). If it works well with Explorer, try the Explorer method. However, it has its own limitations, e.g. it cannot copy comments with files.
huberh2

Post by *huberh2 »

Moving with mouse very slow (I can not use) but with F6 it works mediately.
Always when I use:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SilverFast Application\SF Universal Launcher.exe". This slide scanner has very much USB trafic.
(Win 7x64, TC 8.0B21x64).
Best regards
Heinrich
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

???
They should use the exact same function.
huberh2

Only the Mouse moving is slow

Post by *huberh2 »

Yes, the moving process itself is as fast as with F6. Only the selection Prozess is slow. E.g.:
1)
The + - sign for move/copy needs to change 10 seconds when I press/release the shift key. Normally immediately.
2)
Selection with CTRL+A is very slow. With "TC red Asterix" or with "right mouse move"-selection immediately.

Similar problem 1: Input in the TC command line is very slow (8 seconds per character).
Similar problem 2: Each input to a Win7 Dialog field is very slow (8 seconds per character).

So it seams, that TC works OK and the problem is Windows 7.
CPU Last = 1-4%
Memory = 30%
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

But why is there such a difference between 32 and 64 bit version of TC (5x slower 64 bit)? Concerning advanced copying methods - only Explorer method provides normal speed from smb, all other are equally slow.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm confused now - one user writes that copying itself is slow, another that it isn't slow, but selecting files is slow??? I don't think that these problems have anything to do with each other.
But why is there such a difference between 32 and 64 bit version of TC (5x slower 64 bit)?
Sorry but I do not have this problem here. 64-bit is actually a bit faster here copying files than 32-bit. Maybe you use different settings for the two?