Sometimes a very slow move action

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Vláďa wrote:But why is there such a difference between 32 and 64 bit version of TC (5x slower 64 bit)?
It might be the result of some faulty third-party hook library which comes in 64-bit only and therefore affects 64-bit processes and not 32-bit ones. You can try to view the list of DLLs loaded into TC process using Process Explorer, search for files that come with third-party applications, rename them temporarily and restart TC to check whether situation changed (maybe, computer restart will be needed).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

Thank You for tips, unfortunately nothing helps to solve my problem.

Flint, Hooked DLLs are all from Microsoft, except 2 from Apache Portable Runtime, 4 from TortoiseSVN, 3 *.nsl and 1 StaticCache.dat from Windows Fonts. So nothing suspicious.

My test with 32 and 64 versions of TC are with fresh unpack in new folder, so both configurations are default, no plugins, etc.

I discovered another strange thing: If I copy from (smb) to (local) it is still ~4 MB/s constantly in 64bit TC and about 5x - 6x faster in all other programs including 32bit of TC. But if I copy in 64bit TC from (smb) to (smb), which should be normally even slower, because of double network transfer, actually the speed is about 15 MB/s! Just to note, (local) to (local) copy is over 80 MB/s constantly.

No advaned copying methods helps, except the unlucky explorer method.

On the linux (smb) side, I tried at least two kernels and samba is 3.5.11. I'll try to connect a third computer and do more tests. Because it is really strange and curious.
Last edited by Vláďa on 2012-03-09, 16:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it's Tortoise? Do you have only 64-bit Tortoise installed, or both 32-bit and 64-bit?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

64bit Tortoise only. So I uninstalled it, restarted, checked there are no more his DLLs hooked and... no change. :-(
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

Test from 3rd computer with 64bit Win7 and TC (almost no other software installed). Unfortunately it is located behind 100Mbit switch. The speed from the same (smb) to new (local) is again about 4 MB/s.
The copy speed from the my main computer to this third is about 11 MB/s, so there must be something wrong somewhere...
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

Beta 24, still no change - slow copying/moving from smb to local in 64-bit version.

But I discovered another interesting thing - If I use the same TC for unpacking archive (ZIP, RAR, whatever...) from smb to local drive, the speed is full! Or if I do a fulltext search in lister or file search from smb drive, the speed is also several times over the copy speed.

So the only slow is really copying or moving operation. But TC can in all other cases read from smb with normal speed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try disabling the default copy mode (which disables most of the Copy/Delete settings page). This turns off CopyFileEx and enables copying with ReadFile/WriteFile. That's what is used when unpacking...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vláďa

Post by *Vláďa »

Thank You, now it works finally correctly. It was probably the combinations of multiple factors (old 64bit Tortoise, different kernel on smb drive...?), because previously I was trying all of possible combinations in Copy/Delete settings without any success (the exception was Explorer method).
HAL 9000

Post by *HAL 9000 »

I had the same issue (very slow move operation), when .zip file being moved was open with 7zip. Looks like 7zip locks the file?

Would be nice if TC notified me, saying "I tried to move the file, but it is locked. Would you like TC to initiate a SLOW move?"