[TC 8.0RC1 x32] Unable to close Sync Dir with ESC

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

umbra
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 8.0RC1 x32] Unable to close Sync Dir with ESC

Post by *umbra »

1. Choose some directories and compare them using Sync Dir (at least one of them has to contain subdirs)
2. In the list of differences, right-click on some subdir (it should select all its files)
3. Dismiss the shown context menu
4. Now you can't close the Sync Dir dialog using ESC, you have to click "Close"

If you recompare those dirs or close that dialog using "Close", ESC will work again.
Only the 32b versions are affected (8.0rc1 and 7.57a).
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This behaviour is by design: Once you do something within "synchronize dirs" within the result list, ESC is disabled so you don't accidentally close the results (e.g. if you compare or view files, and then close the compare/viewer window with ESC and keep ESC pressed).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

e.g. if you compare or view files, and then close the compare/viewer window with ESC and keep ESC pressed
1. It doesn't work like that. ESC works always, except the case I reported.
2. Even if it worked, I certainly wouldn't like it, because ESC is a very handy keyboard shortcut. And if I close some dialog by mistake (luckily only rarely), then it's my mistake.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually it does: for example, if you uncheck a file or change the copy direction, ESC will be disabled too.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

In that case you are right - ESC doesn't work. But only in the 32b version. In the 64b version ESC works always. Plus, in your previous post, you said that it should be blocked after opening/closing a file compare or lister, but it's not (in both versions).

The current state:
x32 - ESC is sometimes blocked and sometimes not
x64 - it always works

I'm not even sure people know about this feature, but personally, I prefer the behavior of TCx64.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This behaviour is by design: Once you do something within "synchronize dirs" within the result list, ESC is disabled so you don't accidentally close the results
In the described scenario nothing is changed. The context menu is opened and closed without any modifications to the list or its files, so I can see no reason why TC should block Esc in this situation. I know about its blocking after changing direction for one or more files, but it's not the case here.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, but every interaction with the list is counted as a "change". It has been like this for many years, and I don't have any wish to change this now just before the release, sorry.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, but every interaction with the list is counted as a "change". It has been like this for many years, and I don't have any wish to change this now just before the release, sorry.
Ok, then you have to fix the behavior within the x64 version, which is not compliant with your preferred behavior.

JOUBE