Brief comparison of TempPanel, TempDrive (2), LinkDrive

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdmarch

Brief comparison of TempPanel, TempDrive (2), LinkDrive

Post by *jdmarch »

TempDrive from Tir is non-persistent, which rules it out for me.

LinkDrive from Tir is either not working or hard to understand... when I populate it, leave it and return to it, it is empty.

TempDrive from Labutin and TempPanel from Gorbush are very similar. The differences which I noted are:
* TempDrive saves the file list in a binary file, TempPanel in an ASCII file, which I prefer.
* TempDrive refreshes its storage file when TC exits, TempPanel more frequently, which I prefer.

Based on this very incomplete comparison, I will try TempPanel.
Gorbush

Post by *Gorbush »

:) I'm happy, that my work is usefull for someone :)
I have too much work for now, so there is no time to upgrade TempPanel, but i collect all requests and will implement most of them.

Gorbush (Sergej Puljajev), autor of Temporary Panel
Puljajev Sergej aka Gorbush
[Russian Total Commander Plugring Team]
kuddl

Post by *kuddl »

Hi Gorbush...
Here is another happy User of your Plugin.
I develop WebApps and files are sometimes spread all over the disk. finally i have a way to collect them into one place an perform actions and pack them !

For my private life your support for *.m3u is brilliant. i now create playlists for every mood, and then send the playlist to another computer in the network and burn the CD , so i can enjoy the music in my car.!
Thanx a lot!!!

Greez
Kuddl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#73905 is THE key !!!
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Gorbush
Does your plugin have a homepage?
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

thanx djk!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@jdmarch and anyone interested:

Tempdrive (Tir) is a TC RAM Disk, not just a 'link container'. No other plugin has that functionality! It is very slow when copying bigger files (TC even doesn't respond for some time) but it works.

Link Drive (Tir) is a very basic link container that works, too. No extended functionality, though and only temporary.

Temporary Panel and Temporary Drive have nearly the same extended functionality and are both saving the file lists for future TC instances.

A name change from 'temporary' to 'permanent' would make sense to differ from really temporary LinkDrive by Tir.

Four plugins with nearly the same name really are somewhat frustrating.

Icfu
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

icfu, thanks for the investigation and clarification.

20 years ago on floppy-based systems, RAM disks were a nice feature, but now with fast hard disks and sophisticated OS caching, why would I be interested in a RAM disk?

I agree that some consistency in terminology would be helpful (I would suggest "Virtual Panel" or "Link Panel", since I don't think "Permanent" distinguishes it very well from a normal folder panel). But I'm still hoping that Christian has implemented some kind of virtual panel in TC6, making much of this discussion moot!

In the meantime, I'm now using the fixed TempPanel (v 1.0) quite happily, though with a few new issues (1-3) and one previously unreported old issue (4):

1. "Goto file on RETURN" no longer works: just makes an hourglass.

2. "Execute file" always executes a temporary copy of the file. Why? Why not execute the original file: quicker and more helpful: for example, allows one to edit the original file.

3. I am scared by the new question, after I press the Delete key: "do you want to delete physical files?" I don't want the risk of carelessly deleting them. Therefore I would like a configuration option "Always delete just links".

4. The "X" on the title bar of the configuration dialog does not work. I think it should cancel. Also the Windows standard is not observed that the Escape key is equivalent to pressing the Cancel button.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Thanks, didn't know about version 1.0 from Temporary Panel, I just regularly visit ClubTotal for any updates.

RAM-Disks in general are very useful when working with hd-intensive applications or huge databases. The speed gain can be enormous.

Or they can be used to hold temporary data like internet cache, cookies, temp folder, etc... which reduces fragmenting on hds.

The TempDrive plugin isn't suited for these tasks, obviously. ;)

Icfu
Hammillian7

Working with links to group files and execute them

Post by *Hammillian7 »

One question to the experts in this topic:

I've tried to use TempPanel (based on your info, specially for beeing permanent and storing in plain text) under Win95. What I want is to group several data files (mainly Office files) involved in one particular job to easily and eventually open them. But I've found the problem, which rules it out for me, that it updates the files under a different (C:\Temp) directory (for example, Excel files which I Save frequently) and it leaves the supposedly linked file in its original Dir unupdated.

Then, I've tried SmartLink plug-in: It is perfectly enough for me, but has one big inconvenience: it doesn't support deleting and I often want to exclude some files from my jobs files group.

I've tried then TempPanel again, which does allow deletion, with the idea of just using the function of "going to the original file location", but the function doesn't work for me (is this a TempPanel bug or limitation under Win95?).

Do you recommend me any file grouper for my purpose? Thanks.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

2 Hammillian7:

No. Still hoping for a native TC "virtual panel" feature.
Hammillian7

Direct Link creation in target panel with Ctl-Shift-F5

Post by *Hammillian7 »

Curiously, after my yesterday post, by chance (trying to create a pack.zip, but in the source, instead of in the target panel), I pressed Ctl-Shift-F5, and a confirmation window opened-up to me offering to (translated from Spanish) "Create Direct link for 2 files in ..." (and target dir as default). Accepting it, it created a .lnk link file in the target panel for each selected file. I checked that it also works for several selected files in a list (got with Alt-F7).

For many tasks, it's just enough for me: I create a Subdir for each job and store (or delete) links to the involved files there. It would be better that it also worked inside a Zip, instead that inside a Dir, but not so important.

Then:

1- Do you know the advantage of, for example, Smart-Link over this scheme?

2- Is this function documented? I've not seen it under "link" search nor as a shortcut.

Thanks.
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Direct Link creation in target panel with Ctl-Shift-F5

Post by *Vansumsen »

Hammillian7 wrote:Is this function documented? I've not seen it under "link" search nor as a shortcut. Thanks.
Extract of TotalCMD.HLP option: Keyboard layout
SHIFT+CTRL+F5 Create shortcuts of the selected files (Windows 95/98/NT new shell only)

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

robinsiebler

Bug w/ TempPanel and CatalogMaker files

Post by *robinsiebler »

I made a CM list and added it to TempPanel. The CM list looks like this:

Code: Select all

File name                   Size              Date        Time      
------------------------    ---------------   ----------  --------  
c:\trash\BootImage.zip                5,705   15.08.2003  08:44.34  
c:\trash\crystalMX.exe           15,195,055   15.12.2003  12:44.47  
c:\trash\descript.ion                    79   11.02.2004  11:49.09  
c:\trash\DupDetector.zip            598,122   15.01.2004  12:56.10  

total files 4    total size      15,798,96
When I imported it into TempPanel, the Results I got looked like this:

Code: Select all

[c~]
-->[trash]
     -->[BootImage.zip                5,705   15.08.2003  08~]
     -->[crystalMX.exe           15,195,055   15.12.2003  12~\]
     -->[descript.ion                    79   11.02.2004  11~\]
     -->[DupDetector.zip            598,122   15.01.2004  12~\]
When I press RETURN on a ZIP file, I don't see the contents.

I also created a similiar list DiskDir and imported it. That worked and looked just fine.

It looks like you need to do a little work on your CatalogMaker support.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
La Laucha

Post by *La Laucha »

I´m really frustrated with this plugin. Maybe it´s my fault, but I don´t really understand the way it works. I lost some really great work because TempPanel creates copies from the original files in the tmp folder. I don´t know why, but the canges I made are neither in the original nor in the tmp lokation. They´re simply lost :-( !! Where are my saved files gone ??

There´re just a few files which get uploaded in the c:\tmp folder. From the other ones I can´t find a copy on the whole c drive. Can someone please tell me exactly about the way it works ? Maybe it´s better to have just a link container which is reliable and easy to understand of what is happening in the background.
Andreas
licence #: 101358