This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delete/Copy werite protection error becouse of...antivirus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC7.56(a)/7.57 bug reports (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Born

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Delete/Copy werite protection error becouse of...antivirus? Reply with quote

Hi, I write become something annoying is happening, consistently, with TC, and I would like to know if there is any fix. The problem is that when trying to copy or delete folders, TC a lot of the times, said it could not open some file because is write protected. If I retry, it actually can.

My impression is that it has something to do with the antivirus. I explain.
When I open a folder in TC, I have notice that the .exe files takes some time to appear in the list. The bigger the file, the longest it takes. Some time, they even appear, but it takes some time for the real icon of the file to appear (before they shown a generic icon). I┤m not sure, but I think this is because the antivirus have the files locked to scan them. Right now I┤m using Microsoft Security Essentials.

If the antivirus is turned off, I┤m not 100% sure, but the problem seems to be less frequent.

Is there a way to instruct TC to wait a little longer, before giving up trying to access a file (to copy or delete it)?

I┤m using Windos 7 x64, but this also happens in other versions as well (7 x86 or XP).

Thanks in advance, and Best regards,
MB.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's most probably caused by your Antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials takes almost forever here too to show the icon of e.g. the TC 64-bit installer...
Max Born

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ghisler, thanks for the quick reply. As I said before, your program rocks. There are just somelittle thinks to be tweak here and there.
Indeed, it seems to be the antivirus that delays the access to large files and TC gives up trying to copy or delete. Could a fix be implemented in TC, maybe an ini file parameter setting the max time to wait on copy/delete operations? Right now I┤m playing with the copy/delete options in TC to see if using other methods this do not happened, but I┤m not sure if it will work.

Best regards,

MB.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, TC doesn't give up - does it really give up on your computer? If yes, what error message do you get?
GeminiAlpha

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: copying stops because of "write protected" tc8.0fi Reply with quote

I recognize the "problem" mentioned in this thread.
Yesterday I got it too while copying a large bunch of files (1645) in 7 Dir's total amount of 1137,3 M choosing "overwrite newer".
From Source: laptop, wireless connected to router, To: Networkdrive connected to router by cable. After 1/3 of all files the copying stopped telling me (in a window) that destination was "write protected". After pressing button "retry" the copying flawlessly continued and ended without further trouble.
AND YES I use (the latest) MS Security Essentials! (and tc8.0final)
Hope this added comment helps somewhat. Feel free to ask me more or to do some testing...
Rudolf.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the target file was locked by the Antivirus for scanning, then trying to overwrite it will fail.
GeminiAlpha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghisler(Author) wrote:
It's possible that the target file was locked by the Antivirus for scanning, then trying to overwrite it will fail.

And a solution for this inconveniance cannot be solved by TC, I assume?
rudolf
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2GeminiAlpha
That's right. You might try to change your antivirus, but there is no guarantee it would help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC7.56(a)/7.57 bug reports (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: