Delete files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yngpx

Delete files

Post by *yngpx »

When I delete files and I have check option in configuration: F8/Del deletes to recycle bin (and uncheck option: use explorer delete metod) TC 8 show confirm dialog for windows explorer, but not dialog Total Commander
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If you're using Windows Vista/7, this method is used by default when you delete to recycle bin. You may try to set VistaDelete=0 in wincmd.ini (read TOTALCMD.chm sectiob 4.b for details).
yngpx

Post by *yngpx »

It's work - Thank you very much
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

MVV wrote:If you're using Windows Vista/7, this method is used by default when you delete to recycle bin. You may try to set VistaDelete=0 in wincmd.ini (read TOTALCMD.chm sectiob 4.b for details).
This is not the case for 7.57a though.

When I disable the option "F8/Del deletes to recycle bin (Shift=directly)" in 8.0, I get the old delete prompt. When the option is enabled however, you get a Windows dialog.

In 7.57a, no matter what state this option was in, you would always get a TotalCmd delete prompt.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This isn't a bug, it's a new feature of TC8! The problem is that the old delete method used by TC 7.x to delete to recycle bin is terribly slow and uses a lot of memory on Windows Vista/7.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This isn't a bug, it's a new feature of TC8!
Haha, I like this saying. But alright, thanks for the explanation.

I have yet to go through the TC8 changelog to see what is new, though I expected there really wasn't any, as the main goal was just to "replicate" the behaviour of the pre-TC8 version. Or is that an incorrect assumption?

PS: Total Commander is the first thing I start up and the last thing I shut down, it's so useful I feel handicapped without it. So thank you very much for the awesome tool, the great service and actually replying to us silly users. :)
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Orochi

Post by *Orochi »

ghisler, so if I use VistaDelete=0 would it make TC8 use old delete method used in TC7?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, exactly.
Breaker

Post by *Breaker »

But there's another problem with this Win7/Vista method (at least for me):

For all the files I'm sure to delete, I am used to press "Del" and "Return" pretty fast. With the new Win7/Vista delete method, this results in the file NOT being deleted.

The reason is, that the "Return" press event seems to go to the "Cancel" button on the TotalCmd window below (because the Vista dialog is not yet there immediately), and after I press the "Yes" button on the Win7/Vista deletion dialog, the underlying TotalCmd window reacts and cancels the operation...

By now, my only option is to add also this VistaDelete=0 option in wincmd.ini (but having a slower deletion process). I found that many of my file delete cases fall in that category because I'm used to pressing Del+Return direkctly after another it seems...

It would be nice it this would be changed some time...

Uwe.
PetePat

Post by *PetePat »

For all the files I'm sure to delete, I am used to press "Del" and "Return" pretty fast. With the new Win7/Vista delete method, this results in the file NOT being deleted....
Same here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately this cannot be avoided: TC first needs to create OLE objects for all the selected files/folders, which it then passes to the VistaDelete function. This function then shows the delete confirmation dialog. You need to be able to abort this preparation phase because it can actually take a while with many files selected...
Mercade

Post by *Mercade »

Breaker wrote:For all the files I'm sure to delete, I am used to press "Del" and "Return" pretty fast. With the new Win7/Vista delete method, this results in the file NOT being deleted.

The reason is, that the "Return" press event seems to go to the "Cancel" button on the TotalCmd window below (because the Vista dialog is not yet there immediately), and after I press the "Yes" button on the Win7/Vista deletion dialog, the underlying TotalCmd window reacts and cancels the operation...
Same here. In fact, being concious of not being too fast, I waited for the Yes/No dialog to open and used the cursor keys to move between yes and no to ensure I'm in the Yes/No dialog. Still, when clicking Enter on the Yes, it would not delete the file until I pressed F8 and Enter (on Yes) again. Happens about 50% of the time.

Using 8.0 32bit on Win7 32bit.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2Breaker, 2PetePat, 2Mercade
Try TC8.01 rc1. It tweaks the delete behavior a bit and it might solve your issues.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The return press is now ignored initially when it goes to the progress dialog. Unfortuantely Windows still doesn't "see" the keypress in the new confirmation dialog sometimes, but at least it doesn't abort the delete operation now.
ysu

Post by *ysu »

similar problem here, using 8.01

The difference though:
I've always had the delete confirmation off for simple file deletes to bin.
Firstly, I know what I'm doing, second, there's always the bin to recover them if I made a wrong move.

But there seems to be no way to achieve this sort of behaviour now; it always asks for confirmation.

Have I missed something? Is there a way to get the normal, advanced behaviour back?