Total Commander Menu Editor

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hi,
TCME 1.04 is out ( http://www.angelfire.com/sk/thehacker/tcme/ or http://thehacker.host.sk/tcme/ ).

- pressing up / down arrow keys in Filter moves focus to source panel
- pressing / in target panel activates filter
- double-clicking in target panel simulates Enter (rename item)
- Command label is now automatically updated when the source panel gets the focus (for example when the user leaves the Filter by pressing Tab or one of the up / down arrows)
- updated sclist.txt for TC 6.0
- allowed for lines like [Left]=0; in totalcmd.inc (now TCME only checks if each line starts with a 'cm_'; the ones which don't are skipped)
- fixed a bug which would find the wrong command name and number from totalcmd.inc for a given menuitem upon loading. Each loaded menuitem is compared against the whole totalcmd.inc until a match is found. Unfortunately, cm_exchangeselection (cm_exsel) is higher in the list than cm_exchange (cm_ex), so before cm_ex gets compared to cm_ex it gets compared to cm_exsel (which contains the string cm_ex) and we get a false positive find result. Well, I fixed that. :-)
- added "Delete" and "Delete entire submenu" items to the right-click menu. They are not visible when the menu is called by pressing Insert
- added some more shortcuts to sclist.txt which I missed before (mainly because they aren't documented); thanks to Peter Madsen
- removed the source from the main distribution; you can download it separately from the homepage now

Thanks
Roman
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hi,
TCME 1.05 is available, links as in previous post, the only addition is that the currently edited menu file is displayed in the title bar.

Thanks
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

In response to http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=24877#24877 and below.

Sheepdog,
I'd like your program to display my totalcmd.inc for the german description of the commands. Or is it still possible?
Well, TCME takes the commands and their descriptions from the totalcmd.inc it finds in TC's dir... what totalcmd.inc would you like to use?

icfu,
List index out of bounds, maybe TCME can't handle big menus?
Any chance for steps to reproduce? I thought I fixed all of these...
I would start with background coloring to make the structure of the menus more obvious. Headers, 1st level entries, 2nd level entries, etc...
Yes, certainly, I had this in mind when I tried using colors... will have to reprogram a bit to make this possible.
True, but where are left/right arrows for adding/deleting entries, up/down arrows for moving entries?
Well, I'll see if I can do it somehow optionally. My personal preference is strictly against such things which "emulate" simple keypresses, that's pretty much like having four arrow buttons in TC to move the cursor without having to resort to the keyboard. TCME is meant for advanced users, but I'll take a look at making it accessible for the not so advanced, too.
All is there but noone knows about it...
Yes... I had thought the readme ain't that long for people to read it...

OK well thanks for comments.
:)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Hacker wrote:Well, TCME takes the commands and their descriptions from the totalcmd.inc it finds in TC's dir... what totalcmd.inc would you like to use?
TCME takes the path from registry-key 'HKLM\Softw\Ghisler\installdir' There was a complete different as my current TC-path. I think it would be better to use %Commander_path% if possible, for I handle with more than one TC Installations.
icfu
List index out of bounds, maybe TCME can't handle big menus?
I had an fresh installation in 'c:\programme\totalcmd' (that was whereto the 'installdir' pointed). I installed only german language but didn't configure to use german language. When I stared TC there first was errormessage 'couldn't find wcmd_eng.mnu' and then came the 'list out of bound' message - if it is any help.
All is there but noone knows about it...
No I don't think so but maybe many people are as me and try programs just before have any look at the readme :oops:
A 'help'- button would be useful - even if there only the readme is displayed.
Or what about with a 'menu bar' where all commands are available too?

sheepdog
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Sheepdog
TCME takes the path from registry-key 'HKLM\Softw\Ghisler\installdir' There was a complete different as my current TC-path. I think it would be better to use %Commander_path% if possible, for I handle with more than one TC Installations.
You can specify your TC path using a commandline parameter:

tcme "dir=%COMMANDER_PATH%"
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

1. Start TCME
2. Enter characters in filter field
3. As soon as no entry fits the string in filter field anymore the error occurs
TCME is meant for advanced users, but I'll take a look at making it accessible for the not so advanced, too.
Well, I try to not feel offended. I wouldn't call myself a newbie just because I like to have some comfort when learning how to use a program... ;)
Err, do you REALLY think that this is easy to remember on first use when there are no additional hints in the program itself?
F5 - copies the currently selected command to the menu
F6 - copies and gives you the choice to rename the item
/ - activates the filter field
Esc - clears the filter field

You can also drag commands to the menu. If you do this using the left
mouse button the command is copied, using the right button you also can
rename it.

Menu panel:
Your current menu structure is shown here. Each item is indented according
to the submenu level it is in and the checkbox next to it determines if
the respective shortcut for the command (like Alt+F5 for Pack...) will be
saved with the menu (= will be shown on the menu). Keys you can use here:

Ctrl-Up/Down - moves item up/down
F7 - creates a submenu
Ins - display a menu showing you what you can insert - submenu,
separator, HELP_BREAK, STARTMENU
Del - deletes the item
Shift-Del - if the item is a submenu then deletes its contents, too
Enter - lets you rename the item
Space - toggles the checkbox state

You can move items up/down using the mouse, too. Clicking the right mouse
button brings up the same menu as when pressing Insert, however, with the
possibility to delete the current item.
Well, I have no fun learning shortcuts before being able to use a program. I prefer learning them one by one through the usage of the program itself, popup hints, buttons with the keystroke printed on. Why do you think TC has buttons F3-F8? ;)

"/" for filter box doesn't work on a german keyboard, it would be SHIFT-7... I have to press "#" instead.

Icfu
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Sheepdog,
TCME takes the path from registry-key 'HKLM\Softw\Ghisler\installdir' There was a complete different as my current TC-path.
Well, that's bad even without TCME, other plugins probably check this, too.
I think it would be better to use %Commander_path% if possible, for I handle with more than one TC Installations.
The problem is you might not start TCME from TC. But I can probably check if %commander_path% exists upon startup, thanks.
A 'help'- button would be useful - even if there only the readme is displayed.
Yep, yep, Panos already said that something like that should be there... ok.

icfu,
1. Start TCME
2. Enter characters in filter field
3. As soon as no entry fits the string in filter field anymore the error occurs
Will check, however, I've done this a zillion times, maybe I broke it again somewhere, thanks.
Well, I try to not feel offended. I wouldn't call myself a newbie just because I like to have some comfort when learning how to use a program...
Erm, sorry, I certainly did not mean you being a newbie. I just thought that shortcuts like F5 (copy), F6 (rename), F7 (create "dir"/submenu), Insert (insert), Delete (delete) are easy to remember by experienced TC users.
I'll see if I can do it better, somehow. I could make hints with shortcuts, because I find the idea of a menu "Edit" - "Filter /" a bit awkward. Let's see.

Thanks
Roman
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Hacker
But I can probably check if %commander_path% exists upon startup, thanks.
No you can't - %COMMANDER_PATH% is an internal variable. You could check check first if dir=path has been specified and then look for the reg key.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

No you can't - %COMMANDER_PATH% is an internal variable.
Hmm, SET shows it, so it should be accessible to all programs ran from TC, shouldn't it?
You could check check first if dir=path has been specified and then look for the reg key.
Hmm, am I not doing it this way? I'll check. :)

Thanks
Roman
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Hacker
Hmm, SET shows it, so it should be accessible to all programs ran from TC, shouldn't it?
Not for me. I don't know why.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Not wanting to insult/underestimate you, but did you run the console by Alt-C, D?

Roman
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Lefteous

Sorry hacker it's such a long list on my pc...I took a closer look and of course it's there :oops: