Zip archive corrupted or not?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Zip archive corrupted or not?

Post by *tbeu »

I got a zip file (about 1.5GB in size) that 7zip 9.20 x64 reports as broken due to failed CRC. There are 3 files in the zip archive with one file obviously larger than 4GB. If I verify this archive in TC8.01RC4 (both 32 and 64 bit) I do not get a CRC error.

The displayed file size of that large file within the archive is about 2.5Gb (same as showed by 7zip) whereas unpacked file size is about 7GB.

Two ideas (if possible at all):
- ZIP64 can lead to incompatibilities with other tools and should be reported somehow at CRC test of archives.
- If file sizes do not match there should be some information, too after CRC test
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

2tbeu
That's normal for zip - it does not support files >4Gb, you must use zip64 for them. Zip64 is not supported by most of zip-packers, but TC works with it good.
Try testing your archive with TC and (if you get no errors) then repack it to something more common, like rar or 7z...
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

But as I see TC shows wrong file size, so it may be fixed.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

MVV wrote:But as I see TC shows wrong file size, so it may be fixed.
Yes, if after successful CRC test file sizes are different there should be some information that point to ZIP64.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

I repacked the 3 files with internal zip of TC8 and now the file sizes match. Thus for archives with not-matching files sizes some tools (like 7zip, Winzip) report failures others (like Winrar, TC) do not. It would be nice if TC could print a warning here after archive CRC test, like it does when creating such archives:

Code: Select all

Warning: The total size of all selected files (unpacked) is > 2 GB. If the resulting archive is larger than 2 GB, it will be unreadable by some ZIP unpackers.
Continue anyway?
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

archive is larger than 2 GB, it will be unreadable by some ZIP unpackers
archive is larger than 2 GB, it will be unreadable by some ZIP unpackers
That's what I was talking about.
Only few packers work with big files properly.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

But orginal archive (with invalid file size) was not created by TC. TC claims CRC is fine but rather could give some information that other tools might fail. This would have saved me a lot of time.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry but these files follow the ZIP standard from PKWare, so TC doesn't show any error because the file is correct. It's not TC's fault that some unpackers cannot handle these files although they follow the standard.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Yes, for that reason I lost belief in 7zip.