TC 8.01RC2 x32 failed delete operation

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dracodoc

TC 8.01RC2 x32 failed delete operation

Post by *dracodoc »

This started from TC 8.0: sometimes when deleting a file, there will be a confirmation dialog, after the confirmation, the file still exists. The second time it will be deleted.

I didn't use "delete with explorer", and I'm using "F8 delete to recycle bin". And I didn't select to confirm delete operation.

In 8.0 rc2, the first delete operation can cause a delete operation progress stopped at 1%. It can be canceled, then the 2nd time is normal.

This doesn't always appear, so I don't know how to reproduce it repetitively....
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

I noticed the same many times. Probably it's related to Windows 7, not TC, I don't know. Not sure if it's started with TC 8.0 or earlier.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, cannot reproduce so far. :(

Maybe you pressed Del+Enter very quickly? Then the Enter would go to the "Cancel" button of the progress dialog.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
luckylittle

Post by *luckylittle »

I don't press Del+Enter, just F8 and it happens to me as well (randomly, at least twice a day, every day). It has never happened in the previous versions - it started in v8.X.

My guess:
I have completely disabled "Recycle bin", but this is enabled in TC:
[X] F8/Del deletes to recycle bin (Shift=directly)

Maybe it has something to do with it? I have no anti-virus.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That could indeed be the case! Try to disable recycle bin in TC too.
Slofje

Post by *Slofje »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
That could indeed be the case! Try to disable recycle bin in TC too.
I have a similar experience and I don't think it's related to disabling the recycle bin, since I have not done this. I didn't even know it was possible. I assume this is Win7 -> Recycle Bin -> Properties -> lower radio button ?

I have this rather often, but it's almost impossible to recreate the problem: When deleting a file by quickly pressing Del and Enter the Windows Dialog remains open and I have to give an extra Enter. Then the TC dialog remains with the progress bar at the beginning. Whether I click on Yes or Cancel (?) makes no difference: the file appears to be deleted anyhow (*).

I'm not quite sure of the exact sequence of events because it normally happens so quickly and in this particular case I see Dialogs that I normally do not see.

I think there are three Dialogs involved:
1. TC: "Do you really want to delete ....."
2. Win7: [Translated from Dutch:] "Delete File" and "Are you sure...recycle bin?"
3. TC: "Deleting....." with buttons Start and Cancel, and a progress bar.

When the problem occurs, the Win Dialog remains visible with the focus on the Yes button. In the background is Dialog #3 with an empty progress bar. An extra Enter makes Dialog #2 disappear and Dialog #3 remains, with a tiny blue progress bar on the left, and the focus on the Start button.
I have to click on either Start or Cancel (or press Enter) to complete the delete operation.

If desirable, I can provide screen dumps of situation #2 with Dialogs #2 and #3 visible, and of situation #3 with the progress bar of Dialog #3 in the starting position.

I am using:
- Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1 SP1
- Total Commander 8.01rc3 64 bit
- NTFS harddisk 500 GB

(*) I was convinced the file WAS deleted every time I experienced this, but now that I finally could recreate the problem (and make screen dumps) the file was NOT deleted.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Slofje
Please try with RC4. In RC3, when you press ENTER too early, the pause button will be activated.
Slofje

Post by *Slofje »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2Slofje
Please try with RC4. In RC3, when you press ENTER too early, the pause button will be activated.
Okay, I've installed RC4. Since I cannot reproduce the situation, I'll wait a couple of days before I report here. Or sooner if the problem still persists.

I didn't know there was a RC4 already, sorry for that. I gather I only get an email when a new major version becomes available?
Slofje

Post by *Slofje »

After a week of using TC, the problem hasn't occurred anymore.
Thank you.
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

I also don't see this problem anymore with RC4. Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great, thanks for your feedback!