Is there a good way to focus on the folder tree?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dracodoc

Is there a good way to focus on the folder tree?

Post by *dracodoc »

I'm using separate tree, one tree for two panels. I found it's quick to locate folder that I visited before by starting search in the tree. However I have to change focus to the tree before search.

I didn't find a good method to focus on the tree: tab will not move to tree, and to click on some place in tree will navigate to that folder first, which is not what I want.

Is there any method that I can have a keyboard shortcut to start search in tree?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Have you tried Shift+Tab? It was one of the first things I tried when I tested it.
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

That works, thanks a lot!
MVV wrote:Have you tried Shift+Tab? It was one of the first things I tried when I tested it.
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

Another question, when there are more than one hits with search string, how to jump to next hit? Usually in editor we can use F3 for next match, but I cannot find similar function here...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Do you're talking about quick search? It has different modes. If "letter only" is chosen, you can't. If "letters+dialog", "Alt+Letters" or "Ctrl+Alt+Letters", you may use arrows Up/Down to jump between matched items. If you have quick filter enabled (Ctrl+S or small button in quick search window), TC hides files that don't match.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually there is a way in letters only too, if there isn't a duplicate letter: Just type the last typed letter again to jump to the next match. Example:

test1.txt
test2.txt
test3.txt
etc.

Type te -> TC jumps to first file.
Type e -> TC jumps to next file.
Type e -> TC jumps to next file.
etc.

You must be quick enough, otherwise TC "forgets" the search string and starts from the beginning.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

Thanks a lot, the arrow down method and the last letter method both worked in my setting, and the last letter method is easier to press.

I knew TC must have these kind of methods ;) Just I cannot find them in the help file. I knew it's difficult to keep help file updated, however if there is a wiki available, our users can contribute by fill in these kind of tips and tricks.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

however if there is a wiki available, our users can contribute by fill in these kind of tips and tricks.
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

Thanks for the link. I wrote some about things I just learned here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Quick_search

We should put more hidden tricks not found in help in wiki.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2dracodoc

http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Quick_search says:
With this option, start typing in file panel will filter the list incrementally, only files or folders match your input will be displayed
This is not always correct - it is only correct if Ctrl+S has been pressed, and at TC startup the state of Ctrl+S is dependant on the QuickSearchAutoFilter setting in wincmd.ini:
QuickSearchAutoFilter=0
0: Automatic quick search filter (Ctrl+S) disabled
1: Automatic quick search filter (Ctrl+S) enabled
-1:Like 0, but do not save state when closing TC (filter always disabled at startup)
2: Like 1, but do not save state either (filter always on when starting TC)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

Do you mean the incremental filtering only happen when Ctrl-S have been pressed?
I think the sole purpose of the option I mentioned is to start filtering without press Ctrl-S. And it sure worked in my place.

As for the setting in wincmd.ini, I'm not sure if it is 1 by default. Unless it is not default and have be modified by user, I don't see why should it be mentioned. But if user do change that setting by himself, he must know that will disable the filtering.

Of course I could be wrong, please feel free to update the wiki, that is how wiki works.
petermad wrote:2dracodoc

http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Quick_search says:
With this option, start typing in file panel will filter the list incrementally, only files or folders match your input will be displayed
This is not always correct - it is only correct if Ctrl+S has been pressed, and at TC startup the state of Ctrl+S is dependant on the QuickSearchAutoFilter setting in wincmd.ini:
QuickSearchAutoFilter=0
0: Automatic quick search filter (Ctrl+S) disabled
1: Automatic quick search filter (Ctrl+S) enabled
-1:Like 0, but do not save state when closing TC (filter always disabled at startup)
2: Like 1, but do not save state either (filter always on when starting TC)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Do you mean the incremental filtering only happen when Ctrl-S have been pressed?
Yes, by default (with a clean wincmd.ini) incremental filtering is NOT active. The default for QuickSearchAutoFilter is 0, but if Ctrl+S has been pressed TC stays in that mode (with QuickSearchAutoFilter=1) until Ctrl+S i pressed again - and TC remembers the last state of Ctrl+S between sessions.

So you just happened to have pressed Ctrl+S once and thought that "letters - with search dialog" always does incremental filtering.

Of course I could be wrong, please feel free to update the wiki
I have now changed the wiki http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Quick_search - let me know if you think what I wrote is unclear.
License #524 (1994)
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

I think just press Ctrl+S one time will not bring you into incremental filtering. In my pc, Ctrl+S just bring out the search dialog so it's equal to just typing. I have to press Ctrl+S again with the search dialog on. So this wiki sentence could be confusing.
If you press Ctrl+S, then Quick search changes to incremental filtering
At first I didn't get it because I never press Ctrl+S again with search dialog on, so my filter is always on and never turned off, even I tried Ctrl+S numerous times recently.

This switch operation is quite natural after you knew it, but I never thought about press ctrl+S with search dialog on (why would I do that?), or click that filter icon (it doesn't look like clickable when it is off).

And I read the help again and again. I think the help only talked about toggle active filter. It didn't mention the incremental filter effect we talked about. The help did tell about the filter icon and Ctrl+S, but it didn't mention they can be used to switch on and off the incremental filter mode.

I edited the wiki again according to this experience. I also used "filter" and "mode" separately, otherwise people may confuse the active search filter and the incremental search filter on/off.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2dracodoc
You are right - I didn't emphasize enough that the search dialog has to be open already, in order for Ctrl+S to do the toggeling between the two modes. I think what you now changed the wiki to is explaining it better :-)
License #524 (1994)
dracodoc

Post by *dracodoc »

Actually I was asking how to jump to next match when doing quick search in the folder tree. There will not be incremental filter in folder tree.

However, the arrows Up/Down method do works in folder tree even with the letter only option. Of course the repeat last letter method also works.

So TC always can do what I want, just sometimes it's not easy to find out :P
MVV wrote:Do you're talking about quick search? It has different modes. If "letter only" is chosen, you can't. If "letters+dialog", "Alt+Letters" or "Ctrl+Alt+Letters", you may use arrows Up/Down to jump between matched items. If you have quick filter enabled (Ctrl+S or small button in quick search window), TC hides files that don't match.