:!: Wrap does not work in lister (or quick view)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gazoz

:!: Wrap does not work in lister (or quick view)

Post by *gazoz »

Hi all,

The wrap function (in lister/quick view or full) doesn't work (not even for text files) on my TC :!: (by the way, it is no more a PC when you have TC! it is more than that, much more... 8)) When i hit the shortcut [w] only my screen flickers. It was working some time ago (but i cannot tell exacly after what change I made to TC is the cause for this. Maybe upgrading to 6.01, I really do not remember)

I used to have lots of lister plugins, and uninstalled them to test if that may be the case. And that was not it. I reinstalled TC (version 5.51, 6.0 and 6.01) but that didn't work either.

What may the problem be? Any thoughts, similar experiences?

Thanks!
Gazoz.

PS: I did a fresh install with 5.51 (reseting all configuration files), and although some wrapping were taking place wrap still didn't work properly, (horizontal scroll was still there and half the paragraph were out).
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Did you look at options-> configure-> Display width ?

Just a thought

sheepdog
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

No, indeed. Thanks for the note.

I always ignored that setting (I actually assumed that, this chars per line setting is for some unuseful default, whatever that means).

Actually, for wrapping, shouldn't it be the case that chars per line be a dynamic parameter depending on the current view size? Hasn't this been the default behaviour ever since, or am I completely screwed with my memories with the good old Lister? :roll:

PS: I set that setting to 1 char per line now. It wraps to Chinese with latin chars! lol (very useful indeed :? )
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

gazoz wrote:No, indeed. Thanks for the note.

I always ignored that setting (I actually assumed that, this chars per line setting is for some unuseful default, whatever that means).
Notice that there's a different one for binary files...
Actually, for wrapping, shouldn't it be the case that chars per line be a dynamic parameter depending on the current view size?
I do not think so. Imagine it's only important for you to see the first 5 characters of each line (in a file) and you resize the window to do so:
In that case you would have nearly 'chinese with latin chars' :lol:
Otherwise there are many textfiles with 'linefeed' at the end of the line. If your default is shorter than the lines you always have a chopped layout.
Hasn't this been the default behaviour ever since, or am I completely screwed with my memories with the good old Lister? :roll:
I fear you are :wink:

sheepdog
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

I didn't get it quite right I guess. What do you mean by:
Imagine it's only important for you to see the first 5 characters of each line (in a file) and you resize the window to do so:
In that case you would have nearly 'chinese with latin chars'
Do you mean an example where you only need to view 5 first chars but not the others (unless you scroll of course)? If this is the case then you shouldn't wrap at all!

If you wrap, than the expected behaviour is of course to wrap into whatever you view. At least this is the case with all editors that I know of... (even in the crappy notepad you can see that the text is moving around while you resize the window in wrapping mode) This is what wrap should intend. Isn't it? (unless you purposfully want to do some special formatting, like formatting text with hard/sorf-return (cf. WinEdt), etc.. )

And also:
there are many textfiles with 'linefeed' at the end of the line. If your default is shorter than the lines you always have a chopped layout.
Almost all text files have linefeeds! You don't care about chopped views in wrapped viewing mode. All you care is reading whatever there is in the file without scrolling left and right... Right?
I fear you are
Well if you are so sure of lister's expected behaviour, then it seems that i should post this feature to some wish list.

Thanks anyway.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

gazoz wrote:Do you mean an example where you only need to view 5 first chars but not the others (unless you scroll of course)? If this is the case then you shouldn't wrap at all!
Of course you're right I mixed it up somehow in my mind.
If you wrap, than the expected behaviour is of course to wrap into whatever you view. At least this is the case with all editors that I know of...
As you mention it I must agree - at least for windows editors. But I'm used to 'good old DOS' editors and there it's quite different. I guess it depends on old printer restriction of fix char/line print capability. Therefor lister behavior never seemed to me unusual before.
Almost all text files have linefeeds!
Not at each end of a line but at the end of a section
You don't care about chopped views in wrapped viewing mode. All you care is reading whatever there is in the file without scrolling left and right... Right?
Thats true in most cases
Well if you are so sure of lister's expected behaviour
I tested it for version 3 4 and 5
, then it seems that i should post this feature to some wish list.
As you did here. Mr Ghisler reads this forum regularly

best regards
sheepdog
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

thanks for the comments man! :)
===========================
I am in love with ghisler... no speculations please! you know why ...