FTP connection unreliable

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jemakrol

FTP connection unreliable

Post by *jemakrol »

This is not a proper bug report, but a request for help. Help to determine if it is a bug or not.

Events:
- FTP looses connection while transferring many files
- Might also happen from time to time browsing FTP (noticed issue report on this)
- Direction does, to my knowledge, not matter
- Have experienced this on two different routers
- Same goes for computers and OS'es, occurs on more than one
- Large files/few files and it seems to work
- Other FTP-programs seems to work on the tested routers/computers
- Hard to see any specific chain of events causing the disconnects.
- Seen on several versions of TC, cannot say I've not seen it in any specific version.
- Using latest version now

To my question:
:?: Is there anything I can do to better determine if the connection failures are related to TC or something in the environment(s) it runs in, like router as suggested in thread /board/viewtopic.php?t=35833 (I'm not allowed to do URLs here yet obviously)

Bottom line is, I've stopped using TC for file transfer if it's more than a bunch of files, cause it's so unreliable. This, in combination with no traces of what files failed makes it unusable to me, I'm afraid. If I upload 2000 files to the FTP and comes back with a failure, it's hard to determine where to resume from and trust all files where transmitted uncorrupted.

Finally, I just must add: thanks for an awesome piece of software. TC is the first thing I install on every computer I use after the OS. Cannot live without it. Been around TC since.. well, let's just say I used to use Norton Commander and then moved on. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I do not have this problem with ghisler.com. Please try a different FTP client with your server, and check the log file for connection loss/reconnects.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jemakrol

Post by *jemakrol »

Thanks, will do. I'll update this thread of any relevant findings - if any.