Editing a filename during background process

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

Editing a filename during background process

Post by *Thany »

When editing a filename while a background process is going on (file move, in my case), and that background process shows a popup for overwrite/rename/etc, the filename edit is immediately canceled.

I'm not sure what the solution should be, but the fact of the matter is that the edit is gone, which is annoying. Perhaps the little editor over the filename could just stay there, and allow for the user to just resume editing the filename after dismissing the popup from that background process.

This is TC 8.01 x64 on Windows 7.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

It is a feature request not a bug because this behavior happens when any App steal the focus from TC.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

The solution is simple, don't edit filenames while you are moving them around.
I work since many years on big file servers using TC
and never had such problem. If it should ocour once in 20 years I will live with it. :lol:
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
don't edit filenames while you are moving them around
The file being renamed does not have to be one of those being moved.

Thany,
Perhaps you could use F6 instead of Shift-F6.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it would be good if TC on focus loss replaced in-place rename dialog with normal one (same one that it shows when in-place rename error occurs). And it is easy to fix: show another window instead of just closing in-place rename window.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I could show the rename box again when returning to TC, but it is difficult to determine whether the user wanted to cancel by clicking on another program, or the focus was "stolen"...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author),
I think 'cancelling by activating another program' is illogical. Another program is clicked when it is needed to work with it. You won't click another program if you need to cancel rename and continue work with TC...

Anyway you can add INI key to enable or disable this behaviour.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Why is the edit-box being dismissed when focus is lost, in the first place?

Shouldn't that only be done when hitting esc/enter, or when clicking outside the box?

I know this is not in line with Windows, but that never stopped TC from doing anything ;)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Shouldn't that only be done when hitting esc/enter, or when clicking outside the box?

I know this is not in line with Windows,
When you click outside editbox it closes. You need to press Enter (or click accept button near editbox) to accept changes or changes will be lost (in Windows click outside editbox accepts changes).

BTW it was requested multiple times to add confirmation dialog on click outside of editbox - it would help here too. But I would prefer to see rename dialog instead (with OK/Cancel buttons) - it allows to change name before accepting it.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

While a dialog box is technically quite different, usability-wise it's all the same. I couldn't care less if it's one or the other - what I care about is that a program (any program really) does not throw away my stuff without having a damn good reason. And when that program steals IT'S OWN focus (which is what this issue is about), that doesn't qualify as a good reason to me.

I'm not much of a programmer, so I don't know how hard or easy this is. But I do know about usability and such. And silently cancelling a user's edit is not very good usability no matter how you explain it.