TC for OSX with crowdfunding

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

signum

TC for OSX with crowdfunding

Post by *signum »

Hi,

I know it's a old topic/request. :)

After some years spent working on Mac and Windows I cannot find a true replacement for TC in OSX.
Yes there are many good sw on OSX that can help me (PathFinder, Total Finder, A better File Renamer, Synkron, Permission Reset, Easy Find are some of my choices) but nothing like TC.(I use it every day from the first version of WC).

Not only for the file interface itself, but for all the tools that are part of it like Syncronize Dirs, Rename Tool, Brench view, search by letter, Compare by Content, etc.
I know that those tool cannot be the same in OSX but I deeply trust your ability and implementation.

It seems (reading older posts) that Ghisler and all the TC team isn't totally against it. (please reply if I'm wrong).
I know developing a software is a long time investment and risky.

If this is the only hindrance to TC on OSX what about a crowdfunding for a Mac version (with all the differences that TC will have on OSX)? Maybe on Kickstarter, maybe here on this forum.

Waiting to hear from you
Gianluca
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I'm also one of these who thought about this a lot.

What exactly do you want?

1) Ghisler creating TC for OS X? Won't happen if I understood his comments correctly. Has nothing to do with funding.

2) Someone else creating TC for OS X? Requires an agreement between the OS X author and Ghisler about the rights to the name of the program.

3) Someone else creating a software on the same (or higher) level as TC.

2) and 3) could be funded by the crowd or otherwise.
signum

Post by *signum »

Lefteous wrote:I'm also one of these who thought about this a lot.

What exactly do you want?

1) Ghisler creating TC for OS X? Won't happen if I understood his comments correctly. Has nothing to do with funding.
If it's so, nothing.
I'm writing here cause I trust Ghisler and other guys that make TC as it is.

GL
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2signum
I'm writing here cause I trust Ghisler and other guys that make TC as it is.
I wonder who these other guys are ?

Anyway if anyone things the same way nothing will change on OS X. I would like to being a strong part of such a new development but it seems there is no interest in anyone else but Ghisler.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A few years ago I started porting TC to Linux. It cost me about 6 month of my life, but the result was not really good:
- unexplainable crashes with background functions (e.g. copy in background)
- no plugins (obviously)

Therefore I think that even if I created a special version for OS X, it wouldn't be useful because there are no plugins. Even a few years after the release of the 64-bit version, there are far less plugins than for 32-bit, although most plugins could simply be recompiled.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
signum

Post by *signum »

Lefteous wrote:2signum
Anyway if anyone things the same way nothing will change on OS X. I would like to being a strong part of such a new development but it seems there is no interest in anyone else but Ghisler.
Hmm.
Let's make it simple.
If Ghisler want to do a port, a crowdfunding action could be a good way to see if people really want it.

GL
signum

Post by *signum »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Therefore I think that even if I created a special version for OS X, it wouldn't be useful because there are no plugins. Even a few years after the release of the 64-bit version, there are far less plugins than for 32-bit, although most plugins could simply be recompiled.
Well I'm not aware of the plugin situation.
I've used few of them but I think that TC itself could be enough for many of us. At least for me.

But wait...
I do not understand how TC internally works. I'm not a coder.
I do motion graphics, 3D, video and stuff like that.
You mean that some of the basic functions of TC are plugins?

About the porting.
I cannot judge if it's possible or how much time it will take.
Got many friends that code for big companies and I know isn't a simple task.

My idea was that if you want to do the hard work, at least you should not think about the financial aspect of it.

If you ask to me I'll be one of the backers that help to fund the porting.
No refund even if it won't be good.
But me it's just one and I'm not rich. :)

Gianluca