create timestamp is not saved if taget filename is > 264

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oshizelly

create timestamp is not saved if taget filename is > 264

Post by *oshizelly »

Last release TC 8.50a, the same bug was in TC 8.51 RC1, may be in earlier versions too, I've not checked them all.

When option "to copy all three timestamps" is active (CopyAllTimes=1 line in wincmd.ini), TC does not however copy the source file's "created" timestamps (date and time values) if the target file fullname (path+name) is longer than 264 (NB! just so, not 259) symbols.

Well, to be more specific, this bug does not affect every of files with target name over 264 symbols. Some of such files are not affected, in the specific case 4 135 of 5 162 copied files with > 264 symbols target name have got the current time "created" timestamp and other 20% of files were copied with the correct original "created" timestamp. I've tried to find any pattern (may be some symbols in the name or path or something else), but could not detect any.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Most Windows API functions do not work with names longer than 259 characters. I will check whether the timestamp functions can work with the special notation for longer paths, or not.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2ghisler(Author)
Most Windows API functions do not work with names longer than 259 characters.
But it actually does! As I've just stressed in my previous post, there among the files massive I've copied with the option "CopyAllTimes" enabled were:

1) many hundreds of files with target fullname length between 259 and 264 (including) symbols. None of them has not been affected with this bug.

2) 5 162 files with target fullname length more than > 264 symbols. 1 027 of them, that is approx 20%, have not been affected with this bug too.

P.S.
This number magic number 264 (8 x 33)... It seems, as it could be some bug in the TC code.