8.51a: bug or limitation in Multi-rename tool

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Skif_off

8.51a: bug or limitation in Multi-rename tool

Post by *Skif_off »

Unfortunately my English is bad, in a few words:
directory with 30299 files, I press Show all files in current dir and all subdirs > Select all > Rename multiple files > rename mask - replace [N] to [C]: I see all files.

Select option Edit names... (use AkelPad) > and I see only 22057 lines! Or 25068 (second time). Аfter the change and save the file I see error File contains wrong number of lines: 25068, should be 30229!

It's bug or limitation?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Are you sure it's not an issue with your editor? Did you try another editor (Notepad if necessary)?

I just tried to rename 39535 files (in branch view) with the MRT and opened the file list in ConTEXT (and in Notepad on a second run) - no problem at all.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Skif_off: Which operating system are you using?
I too have no problems on Win7 (64-bit) / TC 8.51a.
#5767 Personal license
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

It is not bug nor limitation!

I have tested with dir contains more than 116000 files, all of them were loaded in the default editor (Windows Notepad), so try to use another editor instead of AkelPad.

I have tested with TC x32, What is yours x64 or x32?
Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

Win7x64, TC 8.51a x86-x64:

AkelPad x86 and x64 - not all files;
Windows Notepad - not all files;
ConTEXT - not all files (don't works with Cyrillic??? O_o);
Notepad++ - not all files;
SynWrite - not all files;
PSPad - not all files.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

You made clear that the file list is not complete after saving the temporary MRT file. So the question is: Are the file names loaded correctly into the editor? Did you try other files? Maybe there are some characters in your file names that your editor can't handle (shouldn't be the case these days). Or there is some antivirus software interfering in the process - Windows Defender (MS Security Essentials) again?

Regards
Dalai

PS: Yes, ConTEXT is almost ancient and not maintained anymore (and its Unicode capabilities are very limited) but it was the fastest comfortable editor I could find years ago.
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

Dalai wrote:You made clear that the file list is not complete after saving the temporary MRT file.
Yes.
Dalai wrote:So the question is: Are the file names loaded correctly into the editor?
Yes, but list file %temp%\[A-Z0-9]{7}.txt does not contain all the names.
Dalai wrote:Did you try other files?
Yes, sometimes all files, sometimes not all files.
Dalai wrote:Maybe there are some characters in your file names that your editor can't handle.
No, latin alphabet+arabic numerals with hyphens and spaces in path/name not may be a problem.
Dalai wrote:Or there is some antivirus software interfering in the process
Comodo 5.12.256249.2599, firewall+HIPS without sandbox and TC (and %COMMANDER_PATH%\*.exe) have most loyal rules. I also tested without HIPS.

PS: AkelPad the fastest and most customizable editor :) IMHO.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Skif_off wrote:
Dalai wrote:So the question is: Are the file names loaded correctly into the editor?
Yes, but list file %temp%\[A-Z0-9]{7}.txt does not contain all the names.
I just made a test on Win7 x64 and TC 8.51a (32 and 64 bit) using %SystemRoot%\WinSxS folder (branch view) and all 40316 files are saved into the temporary file and ConTEXT has no problem loading it. So it's not a TC bug but something interfering in the process of saving the temporary file on your system. You just need to find out what is causing this ;).

Try disabling your antivirus software completely. Also try with a clean wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

I just try a clean wincmd.ini and... everything worked correctly! 94 keys in [Configuration] :(
Big thanks :)

Added:
With old config works correctly :)) I checked with 137488 files, I don't understand what's the matter:
I used sleep mode a few days and restarted computer in the morning.

to moderator:
please move theme, I think it's just an unfortunate coincidence, because I can not reproduce the problem.
Last edited by Skif_off on 2014-09-21, 10:41 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Mmh, interesting. To ease the process of finding the cause: copy half the keys of your wincmd.ini to the fresh one and try again. If it works, copy the other half, too. If it doesn't work, halve the second half, and keep doing that until you find the relevant key.

It may not be a setting in [Configuration] but in another section, or even a plugin.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

2Dalai
Sorry, I've updated previous post :)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

On my computer the problem is easily reproduced with large number of files. Moreover, it's not only that not all files are present in the list, it's quite a critical mess-up. For instance, I tested the problem on a large directory in Ctrl+B mode, so the list contained 36 files named

050513 Totalcm2.rar
When I opened the MRT and called external editing, the resulting temporary TXT file contained only 29 of those files (thus 7 missing), plus one line in their place, with the following text:

050513 Tot050513 Totalcm2.rar
I tested also with clean wincmd.ini, the problem is reproduced likewise. TC 8.51a x64, Win7 SP1.

P.S. It's better to not only compare the number of lines, but to copy names of selected files, paste into a text editor and then compare the resulting file with the TXT generated by the MRT. In my case it produced many of the similar problems with names mess-up.

P.P.S. I also noticed that descript.ion/files.bbs files are excluded by MRT automatically (depending on the option selected in TC), so make sure you deselect them before MRTing (or just keep in mind that they are to be accounted for).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Additional information: it might be possible that the problem is only reproduced when the temporary txt file is created in UTF-16 format (that is, when at least one name contains Unicode characters, or if RenameEditUnicode=1).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the hint! I will check it. Btw, there is no danger to misname the files - the MRT will not accept the changed text file if the line count doesn't match.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com