It's time to release TC 9.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2sky66
I like this idea - I don't think we need the "C+", "A+" and "S+" in the labels though - they take up too much valuable space.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Very smart way to make the configuration dialogs - you will never run out of space - and the positioning of the elements are fixed instead of TC's eye-balled config dialog (as also mentionned here http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=291723#291723 by sob)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sgp

Post by *sgp »

sky66 wrote: Please refer to the concept:
Image: http://i.imgur.com/bauLJhj.jpg
Therefore I think this suggestion will be useful for new user.
I don't oppose the idea. But I'd much rather see the whole set of options of each button in a single tooltip. Less space cramped, more flexible for translators, no key/mouse clicks required to view it, and more consistent with the Windows UI, which displays quick help as tooltips.
sgp

Post by *sgp »

Balderstrom wrote:Show Junction Paths, Colored Tabs.
Image: http://i61.tinypic.com/ml1h03.jpg

Core Settings (Junction Settings)
Image: http://i60.tinypic.com/eqt3f6.jpg
+1. All good ideas in general, these ones stand out to me for my needs. I would add: create junctions and symlinks. I use file and folder linking a lot.
TotalFan

Post by *TotalFan »

As xmeron I vote for COLOURED TABS. It would make a spectacular change in the design when you use tabs and it would be very helpful.

I know that on Mac colours can be even associated to files. Wouldn't be an easy to develop an appreciated features by everyone ?

By the the way on my Win 7 64x I can't drag picture from a web page to TC. It seem to me that it was possible on XP. It's a basic function to (re)implement.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@TotalFan
You can't drag an item from a non-administrator rights program to a program run with administrative rights.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

TotalFan wrote:I know that on Mac colours can be even associated to files.
Configuration -> Options... -> Colors
[x] [Define colors by file type...]

Edit:
Sometimes i have the impression that 95% of all TC users are using less than 10% of TC's features, while on the other hand less than 5% of all users are using more than 90% of the features.

Regards
Holger
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Long time silent, just to jump on this train.
SCP pretty, pretty please :-)
I understand that the SCP brings a lot of challenges, but that would warrant the "9" tag.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

HolgerK wrote:
TotalFan wrote:I know that on Mac colours can be even associated to files.
Configuration -> Options... -> Colors
[x] [Define colors by file type...]

Edit:
Sometimes i have the impression that 95% of all TC users are using less than 10% of TC's features, while on the other hand less than 5% of all users are using more than 90% of the features.

Regards
Holger
Out of the box, and with default menus/toolbars -- TC exposes very little functionality. Which puts the onus on the end-user. Many features are hidden in multi-tiered dialogs (options), and/or possibly don't function as one would expect. TC is an old-school program in both looks and the high barrier to discoverability (of features).

I think long-time TC users forget what a sparse program TC is, until you spend an inordinate amount of time downloading/installing and configuring plugins/scripts/toolbars and menus.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
sky66

Post by *sky66 »

Some suggestions for “Directory hotlist”

1. Add icons for Directory items, refer to “Listary” as below:
Image: http://i.imgur.com/sGu3JM6.jpg

2. Click middle mouse button (optional) to open “Directory hotlist”.
Currently middle button is design for close or open folder tabs,
Suggest add click middle button to open hotlist (outside the folder tab bar).

3. Specify the new hotkeys for Directory items.
TC use the first letter as hotkey, it may easy to mistakenly press “R” to remove.
Suggest change to 1~0 and A~Z, just like TC Lister’s options did.
No more need hotkeys for add, remove and configure to prevent mistake.
Refer to Image: http://i.imgur.com/8PAm0d1.jpg

4. Highlight display for Directory items.
Currently, click Left or Right mouse button = Go to the target path.
Suggest: click Right mouse button = Mark/Unmark as most favorite.
Concept Image: http://i.imgur.com/7E2mP8j.jpg
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

2frenky: SCP support should rather be added to this nice plugin(*1). Having it directly in TC would be better in a way. But technically, separate *open source* plugin is huge advantage. If you really want something changed, there are more people who can do it, not just Mr.Ghisler. Oh how I sometimes wish it was possible with other parts of TC too. :)

--
(*1) File transfers are there already, it just needs an alternative to SFTP for directory listings.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

high barrier to discoverability (of features)
I think this is a point. Is this "high barrier of discoverability" intended? If yes this means these features are hard to discover because it's expected that only experts need them (and will discover them) not the normal user. Otherwise it might be a good idea to think about features which already exist, are helpful for normal users but quite hard to find or not easy to setup.

Here is an example (I guess there are quite a few):
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=37979
Last edited by Lefteous on 2015-01-19, 09:17 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

HolgerK wrote:[quote="TotalFan"Sometimes i have the impression that 95% of all TC users are using less than 10% of TC's features, while on the other hand less than 5% of all users are using more than 90% of the features.
You are definitely right. TC is hiding its most powerful features.
I was writing about this several years ago in a similar thread: On a few occasion I was trying TC out of the box and at first glance I didn't find it attractive.
Until I downloaded a TC Powerpack, bundled with plugins, custom menus, commands and hotkeys, carefully set advanced settings, exposing all the powerful features of TC that had blown me away. It was love at first sight.
After using it for a while and learning it, I installed fresh copy of TC and done all those advanced settings by myself. But i'm still discovering wonderful features that are hidden deep into documentation on a unexpected places or history file, and most of those are bring to attention from forum users.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

solid wrote:
HolgerK wrote:[quote="TotalFan"Sometimes i have the impression that 95% of all TC users are using less than 10% of TC's features, while on the other hand less than 5% of all users are using more than 90% of the features.
You are definitely right. TC is hiding its most powerful features.
I was writing about this several years ago in a similar thread: On a few occasion I was trying TC out of the box and at first glance I didn't find it attractive.
Until I downloaded a TC Powerpack, bundled with plugins, custom menus, commands and hotkeys, carefully set advanced settings, exposing all the powerful features of TC that had blown me away. It was love at first sight.
After using it for a while and learning it, I installed fresh copy of TC and done all those advanced settings by myself. But i'm still discovering wonderful features that are hidden deep into documentation on a unexpected places or history file, and most of those are bring to attention from forum users.
Most of "Old TC users" spent an lot of time to learn, read the forum, expremiment and finaly get a usable TC for it needs (after years).
We had a discutions about having a nicer "out the box" TC with predefined plugins icon pack and menu, nicer documentation....
But gess what ! this 9.0 thread remind me that we were never satisfyed on many points and some feature even not corrected to be useful as the multi command one !
sgp

Post by *sgp »

Lefteous wrote:I think this is a point. Is this "high barrier or discoverability" intended? If yes this means these features are hard to discover because it's expected that only experts need them (and will discover them) not the normal user. Otherwise it might be a good idea to think about features which already exist, are helpful for normal users but quite hard to find or not easy to setup.
Hi Lefteous, please finish your thought: "think about features exist, are helpful for normal users but quite hard to find or not easy to setup" and... do what about them? (in the context of TC9)