Run/Open directly from FTP

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

peterbv

Run/Open directly from FTP

Post by *peterbv »

Hi guys,
Is there a way to run/open a file (let's say a PDF using Acrobat Reader) from an FTP folder without copying it first to your harddrive? (just like when you edit a file through FTP, but in this case just run it)

Thanks.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Yes, if you associate a viewer for the extension, and use Alt-F3. (Options / Edit/View / Associations)
But this will still download the file into the %TEMP% dir, so make sure there is enough room on the local drive.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
peterbv

Post by *peterbv »

Well, that kind of sort of did it. I wrote a tiny application that I associated with the pdf file extension (and this would work for any kind of extension) and now TC is downloading the file, and is passing it to my app and I start the application (ShellExecute).

If anybody thinks they could use this tiny app just let me know...

Kosszi szepen,
Peter
peterbv

Post by *peterbv »

Well, if anybody wants it they can get it from here:

http://student.claytonstate.net/~csu10711/shellstart.exe

and the source from here:

http://student.claytonstate.net/~csu10711/shellstart.dpr

(It's nice if you set it as your default external viewer because in this way you don't have to configure any other type of viewer... it works pretty much automatically :D -- if you ask me, this should be the default behavior :wink: )
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I wrote a tiny application that I associated with the pdf file extension (and this would work for any kind of extension) and now TC is downloading the file, and is passing it to my app and I start the application (ShellExecute).
Sorry, I really dont get the point, isnt this what the Enter key is for? As far i understand, your application issues ShellExecute on any file.
peterbv

Post by *peterbv »

Yes, but the Enter key doesn't work in an FTP session, this does... :wink: (that's why I said that this should be the default behavior, meaning that I should be able to just press Enter in an FTP session as well and have that file or application open)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Oh I see. True, and pretty good idea! Thanks for the program.