Search results: how to work with, edit, export, save

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kofa

Search results: how to work with, edit, export, save

Post by *kofa »

Hi,

I used to use File Commander (FC) for Windows, a plain, text-based Commander. At my new job, Total Commander (TC) is the employer's choice of shell, so I'm learning TC now.

File Commander had some very nice features that I miss in TC (since TC is pretty powerful, and highly customisable, chances are I just haven't found them yet). Could you please help me?

#1: recall search results. In FC, the Alt-F7 search *automatically* saved results of the last search. I only had to press Alt+Shift+F7 to bring them up again. I see I can save search results in TC, but that requires extra clicks / key presses, or I can populate a panel with the results, but I don't like either as much as the instant recall feature of FC. Is there a way to pop up the search window already populated with the results of the last executed search?

#2: operations on the search result list. File Commander allows one to view, edit or delete files directly from the results screen (deleting a file removes it from the file system as well as the result list). As far as I see, in TC there's only View and Go To (the latter of which closes the result list, causing me major headaches because of #1).

#3: Alt-F7 remembers things such as file name and text, but does NOT remember the state of checkboxes. I think it is logical to restore search options, just like it the file file name (the text *is* remembered, only the state of the checkbox is not). Is there an option hidden somewhere to restore those options?

TIA,
Kofa
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Hello kofa, welcome to the forum !
to view, edit or delete files directly from the results screen
To do it in TC just do the same as usual, press "Feed to listbox".
The files are displayed at the TC panel and you can:
View by pressing F3
Edit with F4
Delete with "Del" or F8
Go To (the latter of which closes the result list, causing me major headaches because of #1)
If the list is on the right panel, press "Ctrl-Cursor Left" on a file => the related directory is displayed at the left panel.
(on the left panel use "Ctrl-Cursor Right" )
#3: Alt-F7 remembers things such as file name and text, but does NOT remember the state of checkboxes
On the Search dialog (Alt-f7) there is a "Load/Save" Tab where you can ... guess what ? ;)
#5767 Personal license
kofa

Thanks

Post by *kofa »

Thanks for the replies. So more or less all I want to do is possible, even if in a somewhat clumsier manner than in FC. OK, I'll have to live with that, I guess there are a number of things where TC is better than FC.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Search results

Post by *solid »

kofa wrote:At my new job, Total Commander (TC) is the employer's choice of shell, so I'm learning TC now.
I like companies like that.
At the company where i work, i cannot persuade even the sysadmin to use the TC instead of explorer.
Ivana Marjanovitj

Save search result as...

Post by *Ivana Marjanovitj »

Hello! I've asked my good friend Google :), without any luck, so I feel free to ask you:

Is there [or will there be] any possibility to save search result [a] in form of a folder which contains links/shortcuts of searched files or in a form of txt file which contains names of searched files?

I would find this as a very useful tool [especially in b case], and I hope many other would to.

Best, Ivana
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

:arrow: Search <Alt+F7>..
:arrow: When the results are displayed, just press <Ctrl+C> (the find files dialog flashes once)
:arrow: Paste <Ctrl+V> the result into your preferred editor.

Regards
Holger
LordKaos

Post by *LordKaos »

HolgerK wrote::arrow: Search <Alt+F7>..
:arrow: When the results are displayed, just press <Ctrl+C> (the find files dialog flashes once)

Regards
Holger
REP+ :D

I enter the forum to search this.

Thanks!
LORD KAOS WAS HERE!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Save search result as...

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Ivana Marjanovitj wrote:Hello! I've asked my good friend Google :), without any luck, so I feel free to ask you:

Is there [or will there be] any possibility to save search result [a] in form of a folder which contains links/shortcuts of searched files or in a form of txt file which contains names of searched files?

I would find this as a very useful tool [especially in b case], and I hope many other would to.

Best, Ivana

Install the pseudo packer plugin "DiskDirExtended" from:
http://totalcmd.net/plugring/diskdir_extended.html

Make your search
Feed the results to the List box
Ctrl-A to mark all files in the list
Invoke the Pseudo packer plugin "DiskDirExtended"
This will produce a file which can later be opened by the same plugin
and the entries can be clicked.
gykulifai

Export Search Result

Post by *gykulifai »

That's a pretty solution, but if I have a huge list ex. 300000 match, then not the best way to export list.
Oh, I forgot to tell, the search goes into archives too. So I can't feed to listbox...
HolgerK wrote::arrow: Search <Alt+F7>..

Regards
Holger
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

gykulifai: This should also work with a huge list.
Be aware, that no program other than TC is able to use the notation of matches in archives such as "e:\archive.zip/File.PDF" !
#5767 Personal license