DriveisCD possible bug?!?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JaGGeR

DriveisCD possible bug?!?

Post by *JaGGeR »

hiya all,

well, i have set my CD drive to Q and my HDD to C & D. i have also set in wincmd.ini the "DriveisCD=Q" setting under [Configuration]. i'm expecting that this would set the functionality of copying files from CD without the read-only attribute. however, the files still have that attribute set when i tried copying from the CD drive. i also tried deleting the setting DriveisCD, since i've read in the forums that it is default behavior for TC not to copy the read-only attribute from CD files. but alas, the files still have the read-only attribute. Could somebody help me with this?

my system: XP Home SP1, 1.4GHz Centrino, Dell Inspiron 600m, TC v6.03

sample behavior:
Q: file.ext size mm/dd/yyyy r---
copying to D
D: file.ext size mm/dd/yyyy ra--

----
JaGGeR

Post by *JaGGeR »

btw, does anybody else experience this kind of behavior?? or does DriveisCD work for you?? i was wondering whether this is just affecting my system.. thanx in advance for any help you could provide. :)
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

With Win2K SP4 French and TC 6.03 it works fine,
HDD are C and Y
CD-Rom is D
In Wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
DriveisCY=D

D: file.ext size dd/mm/yyyy r---
copying to Y
Y: file.ext size dd/mm/yyyy -a--

Sorry i cann't help you
Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

At home computer (XP Prof SP1) I don't use "DriveisCD" at all and it works correctly without it. I mean copying form CD drive removes read-only attribute.

At work computer (WinNT) I use "DriveisCD" for mapped drives and it also works correctly.

Now, I've tried to use this parameter for testing for one partition of my harddisc. It also worked correctly. All files copied from this partition had removed read-only attribute. Maybe also try if it works for harddisc partition?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you use compatibility mode for this drive or the target drive, or the Explorer copy method? Both these methods do copy the read only attribute, because they are Windows functions which TC just calls and then leaves the attributes alone. This is done because changing the attributes after copying may cause other compatibility problems, like changing the time stamp.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JaGGeR

problem solved.. :)

Post by *JaGGeR »

unchecking the "Use compatibility mode ..." did the trick.. many thanx to you, christian.. :) compatibility mode was set for drives C & D.. i can't remember why i did this kind of setting.. but now that it was unchecked, copying files from the CD does not copy the read-only attribute (with or without the DriveisCD setting).. to you all, especially to christian, thanx again for all the help..
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 18-04-2004 11:29:50 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> Do you use compatibility mode for this drive or the target
g> drive, or the Explorer copy method? Both these methods do
g> copy the read only attribute, because they are Windows
g> functions which TC just calls and then leaves the attributes
g> alone.

BTW, Christian, I can't find a single word about compatibility mode limitations in appropriate Help topic (about this one too).[/face]