Win10: 'Drag & Drop' stops working after a while

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Coder

Win10: 'Drag & Drop' stops working after a while

Post by *Coder »

I have a drag drop error that I do not think is in the list of all the existing reports.

I have used TC for years, and as part of my Windows upgrades. Worked fine on Windows 10, but now fails on the new Anniversary update.

I am using TC x64 8.52a

Drag and drop initially works, but after some time, when I have used TC for a while, it stops working. How it fails depends on what app I am dropping into. When I try to drop into my text editor, nothing works. When I try to drop into MS word, the drop takes place without me releasing the mouse button.

I created a video that shows this problem:
xmaslights.ml/tmp/TotalCommander.mp4
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, I don't quite understand the problem from your video: You write that drag&drop stops working, but it seems to work every time in your video. But in some cases, it drops the file without releasing the mouse button?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tcus23

Post by *tcus23 »

I have the same problem. Since update with the anyversary update of Windows 10 drag and drop does work sometimes and sometimes not. I have also seen, that when I use the TC command to make a network connection it is then visible only on the TC menus and not on the file explorer from windows. The same vice versa, if I mount a drive with the menu under the windows file explorer it is not visible under TC. This although on both ways they are using the same menus (from windows), I guess.
I have the same tested with version 8.51 and 9.00 rc2. Thanks.
tcus23

Drag and drop works now again

Post by *tcus23 »

Today my windows 10 made an additional update (KB3197954) and I have installed the TC9.0RC3 and now it works again :-) I do not know what has fixed this issue but i guess either the windows 10 update or the TC update.

Also my mentioned network drive mounting can now be done on either TC or windows file explorer and it is visible and accessable on both.
tcus23

Unfortunately still not working... I was wrong, sorry

Post by *tcus23 »

Sorry to write, but I have been wrong it is still the same behaivour. Please note my comment to the connection of the network drive. It seems to be really a difference if I do it under TC and under FileExplorer. I am unsing Thunderbird for example and for whatever reason drag and drop does only work on the FileExplorer from Windows, it does not work wiht TC (what works is to use the copy and paste command (menu on right mouse click).
I hope this helps to find the root cause.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2tcus23
Do you start TC elevated, i.e. as administrator? Does Drag'n'Drop work from/to other applications than Thunderbird?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Dalai is right.

It's the old new thing that windows starting with vista does not allow any process running with lower user right to drag&drop anything into an process running with elevated rights:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2010/01/28/q-why-doesnt-drag-and-drop-work-when-my-application-is-running-elevated-a-mandatory-integrity-control-and-uipi/
It's a security feature of windows (btw. Copy&Paste is still possible because this does not influence the security).

Take a look at the TC caption bar. Do you see something like:
"<Your user name>^ Total Commander (x64) 8.52a - <Your license name>"?
The part ""<Your user name>^ " is only visible if you've configured TC to run "as Administrator"

Also the mounted network shares perfectly fits to elevated processes.
Windows stores network connection per user:
- the connection you've created with TC is only visible for any program running under elevated administrator account
- the connection you've created with Explorer is the one for the normal user account.

Regards
Holger
Coder

Post by *Coder »

I have no normal processes running at elevated rights and it still does not work. As I said, it initially works, I can drag and drop, but then after some time, it stops working. I then have to restart TC to get it working again.

The video I made shows this. The video shows how it just drops without me releasing the mouse button. This is for MS Word. When I try to drop into my text editor or Skype, nothing happens. Again, it works for ALL apps if I restart TC, but it ALWAYS fails after some time.