[9aRC1+2 x32] slower network discovery

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

redfox

[9aRC1+2 x32] slower network discovery

Post by *redfox »

In the recent builds, I have noticed that the loading of the remote network folder structure (MS file sharing - workgroup / 100Mbit) is quite slower, i.e. with a longer delay until the folder content is viewed. When I am deleting a file, a window "discovering items" pops up sometimes. Both computers are with no load or other users connected. The delay varies - sometimes shorter, sometimes longer (approx 0.3 s - 2.5 s), when entering the same folders.

I have just compared it with the default Explorer application in Windows:
The delay is constant (about 0,5 s) in any folder.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC9 should actually be MUCH faster than TC 8.52 with reading network folders: It requests it in a newer way where Windows can send the data with a delay, e.g. when new servers are detected, so it doesn't have to wait long for the initial load.

Could you reinstall TC 8.52a to make a direct comparison? If it isn't faster, then something else must have changed.

You can't compare TC directly to Explorer because it's unknown what the Explorer uses internally. TC uses IShellFolder - EnumObjects with the new option SHCONTF_ENABLE_ASYNC.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
redfox

Post by *redfox »

Compared with TC 8.51a now - the old one really is a bit quicker then the v9, the difference is about 200-300ms in my case.
Not a big issue, though.