Cross-Folder Plug-in Trespassing

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Cross-Folder Plug-in Trespassing

Post by *Phred »

I have found recently when testing release candidates of Vn.9 that the new install trespassed across folders to attach its plug-ins.

With 8.52a installed in C:\Program Files\Total Commander\ [sic], I installed Vn.9rcx in C:\Program Files\Total Commander9\.
When I added a plug-in or two to the new 9, it cast a search across to \Program Files\Total Commander\ as a place to attach its plug-in files from (for existing), or to (for new).
If I hadn't been paying attention to the proffered folder, TC9 would be left attached to TC8 folders, leaving itself subject to being orphaned when C:\Program Files\Total Commander\ was eventually deleted.
As I type, TC9's plug-ins dialogue control is mixed with C:\Program Files\Total Commander\plugins\ and C:\Program Files\Total Commander9\plugins\ references. I will have to correct them.
I find this consistent on multiple computers.

TC's plug-in installer needs to be prevented from reaching across folders, recognising instead the (C:\Program Files\) location from which TC was itself launched, IMQHO.

PS Are these adjunct programs plug-ins, plugins, add-ons or addons?
I assume they're referring to the same type of objects.
While plug-in is the more traditional form, the page http://www.ghisler.com/addons.htm uses all other three forms. Messy. Firefox uses 'add-ons'. Should we not have the site revised with more consistency?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC remembers the last base directory for plugins in the wincmd.ini. This is the same for all installations sharing the same ini file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com