Drive buttons and Drive combo for network shares

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

joebananas

Drive buttons and Drive combo for network shares

Post by *joebananas »

Is it possible to create drive buttons for network shares and have network shares appear in the drive combobox? The shares appear correctly in under "This PC" in the drive combobox. It seems like we should be able to make the "This PC" list appear in the combobox.

Here's the reason for this need. We have two companies that merged. The amount of data in the new enterprise makes it impossible to use mapped drive letters effectively so we're doing away with them. Windows Explorer shows network shares correctly, under the local drives. If we can't get users easy access to the network shares in TC I'm afraid they'll stop using TC in favor of just using Explorer.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

You can use the directory hotlist (Ctrl+D) to save as many shares as you like.

The drive list and drive bar are more or less static, they depend on the drives in your system and show drives only - with the exception of My Computer/This PC, My Documents and Network Neighborhood.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is it possible to create drive buttons for network shares and have network shares appear in the drive combobox?
You can assign a Network Share to a drive letter using TC's internal command cm_NetConnect - once that is done, the dive is shown in the drive button bar and the drive combobox.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
joebananas

Post by *joebananas »

You can assign a Network Share to a drive letter using TC's internal command cm_NetConnect - once that is done, the dive is shown in the drive button bar and the drive combobox.
As I mentioned, we're moving away from drive letters and sticking to sharenames. The last thing I want is for my users to start creating their own drive letters for my network sharenames. That's all I need is for 200+ people all with different drive letters for the same share trying to tell one another where to get the files they're looking for..