Displayed copy speed very slow, but real copy is fast

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rduke15

Displayed copy speed very slow, but real copy is fast

Post by *rduke15 »

I was copying 2.9 TB. between 2 local disks in Win10 with TC 8.52a.

The real copy speed was fine, at around 300 MBytes per second.

But the display at the top of the copy window showed an extremely low speed and a completely wrong time remaining.

At the beginning, the display was showing around 44'000 kB (44 MB.) per second. Later, it was showing speeds as low as 2.5MB.p.s. (2'500kB) and a correspondingly ridiculous time remaining of over 100 hours.

When checking the numbers in the bottom right corner of the copy window, and using a stopwatch, the progress shown seemed correct and gave around 33 seconds for 10 GB.

The files copied are around 20-30MB. each, and there are around 130'000 files. It actually took between 2 and 3 hours to do the copy.

What could cause the speed display in the copy window to be so wrong?

(Both Win10 and TC are the 64 bit versions)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce this so far. Do you get this also with Total Commander 9?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
rduke15

Post by *rduke15 »

Yes, I had a similar result with TC 9.00a. Real copying was done at over 200 MBytes per sec. The speed indicator of the copy window, which took a while to show up, was showing between 40 and 80 MBps.

This was on the same machine, always copying from a RAID0 (hardware RAID, SSD disks). May try some other tests next time I do something on that machine.