Command line: not executed command in suggestion list

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Command line: not executed command in suggestion list

Post by *DrShark »

Help wrote:By pressing ENTER you can execute the command line. Old command lines are saved in a history list.
CTRL-CURSORDOWN
or ALT+F8 - A list with the latest command lines (history-list) is opened. Hold down the CTRL key and use the up and down cursor keys to select an entry.
To reproduce:
1) press Ctrl+Enter on notepad.exe;
2) focus on cmdline using RightArrow key, press End to remove selection;
3) remove ending space and some charactes from notepad.exe, for example everything until "not";
4) exit from command line using twice Esc;
5) use Ctrl+Enter to insert notepad.exe or any other name into commandline;
6) press RightArrow key to focus on cmdline;
7) press Ctrl+UpArrow: notepad.exe name will appear, with all characters from end to "not" being selected, although we didn't execute notepad.exe using command line before.
So this is either a bug or undocumented feature.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I have no influence on that, it seems to be caused by Windows auto-complete. Does it happen when you disable autocomplete and autoappend?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I have no influence on that, it seems to be caused by Windows auto-complete. Does it happen when you disable autocomplete and autoappend?
Just to clear up terminology:
1) the list which appears after pressing Ctrl+Down (or Ctrl+Up if at least one command executedin command line; When list is shown, use can navigate in it using either Up and Down or Crtl+Up and Ctrl+Down;
2) the lists which are offered is offered by Windows (auto-suggest or autoappend) appear after user entered name, path or part of it, isn't called by hotkey, it just appears. The navigation in the the opened list is also done using

In the bugreport in step 6 the list offered by Windows isn't shown, but in step 7 Ctrl+Up key will insert suggestion by Windows instead showing TC history which is expected.

I guess TC sholud show some indicatin whether Windows autocomplete/append is active because it takes priority of taking that TC's hotkeys that TC use for own features (like Ctrl+Up/Dn for showing TC commandline history).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, but the text extension and selection seems to be caused by Windows auto-append.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, but the text extension and selection seems to be caused by Windows auto-append.
That's what happens in step 7. But in step 6 user still doesn't expect that after Ctrl+Up auto append will be used, because this hotkey also shows TC command line history when autoappend isn't used.
There are the interface/usability issues. Since in step 6 command line seems to have already switched to autoappend mode, I think TC should somehow indicate that autoappend mode is active.
I suggest some icon placed before Command line or near cursor that will show current command line status:
no special icon - regular mode where all TC hotkeys work as expected
icon with "c" letter - autocomplete is active
icon with "a" letter - autoappend is active
icon with "h" letter - Command Line history is active, just to indicate the difference from autocomplete and autoappend.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't think I can change that in any way. You just tell windows to use auto-append and/or auto-complete in a certain edit box, and then it's out of your influence what happens. :(