TC9 and Ultra TC Editors

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CharlesF

TC9 and Ultra TC Editors

Post by *CharlesF »

Does anyone know if Taher Salem's Ultra TC Editor Tools (still) work with TC 9.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Charles
beb

Post by *beb »

Surely they do, as they are.
But surely the Tools Data Files to be updated to keep their user friendly behavior corresponded to all the new features and parameters of the app.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
Phred

Yes, No

Post by *Phred »

Re OP - well, yes and no.
On one of the two machines I have here, UTCEs work, seemingly as intended.
On the other, the install program dated 1998, setup.exe, crashes repeatedly, twice at each attempt, and not even Win10Pro's Troubleshooting routine can save it.

When they work, they work well, even though they're among a growing set of aging TC add-ons - dated early 2011. It seems that development and update has ceased by mid-2017.

BTW, does anyone know how to avoid a setup.exe and work with a .lst file and a .cab file to get something installed?
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: mscomctl.ocx

Post by *tuska »

Phred wrote:BTW, does anyone know how to avoid a setup.exe ...
Here are my experiences on this topic.

I downloaded this file: ultra_tc_editors_640_beta_1.rar from here: http://totalcmd.net/plugring/ultra_tc_editors.html
and extracted the folder "Ultra TC Editors" for portable use.

Then the problem with "mscomctl.ocx" arose:
After calling the Button Bar Editor.exe I got the error message (using TC 9.0a - 32 bit + 64 bit):
Run-time error '339': Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Solution for me was the following --- using TC 9.0a - 32 bit + 64 bit, Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1703 (Build 15063.332)
1- Search for file "mscomctl.ocx" on your PC [with TC using Everything] OR see the link at the bottom (download and integration)
2- I found this file here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\SystemX86\mscomctl.ocx 1.070.232 08.12.2015 01:57:31
2- File-Version: 6.1.98.46 and copy this file to folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64
3- Manual registration of the file is required --> DOS, Admin Prompt required... viewtopic.php?p=304061#304061
3- Button "DOS Admin Prompt / Administrator!" as follows can be used

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
*%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
/K CD /D "%P"
%COMMANDER_EXE%,2
Admin Prompt  (Administrator!) |Exit from DOS window: exit <ENTER>

3- Copy and then paste this code on a free place on your buttonbar (Right-click, Paste), then click on this button
4- Confirm UAC prompt (user account control) query with click on the "Yes"-Button ... DOS-window appears *)
5- Insert the following into the DOS command line: Regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mscomctl.ocx (copy/paste) then press <ENTER>
6- Exit from DOS window: Type in "exit" then press <ENTER>

*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control
-- Command Prompt windows that are running elevated will prefix the title of the window with the word "Administrator",
-- so that a user can discern which instances are running with elevated privileges.

E.g. Button Bar Editor.exe and other Ultra TC Editors programs to call should then be possible without error message!
The Ultra-TC-Editors 6.40 Beta 1 programs are accessible using TC 9.0a 32bit + 64bit.
When changing from TC 64bit to TC 32bit, settings such as language must be made again.

Additional information (download and integration) regarding "mscomctl.ocx" is here:
viewtopic.php?p=317700#317700

See also Forum "Plugins and addons: devel.+support (English)":
viewtopic.php?p=328932#328932
Phred

Ref.

Post by *Phred »

Thanks, tuska. Fortunately, I found that I could avoid setup.exe in the Ultra Tools by treating the embedded exes as portable. They now work nominally.
Perhaps my mscomctl.osx was already registered.

But your note can serve well as a reference.
Thx.