"Access denied" when opening files after restore

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HeRo

"Access denied" when opening files after restore

Post by *HeRo »

Hi!

I have always been a very happy user and owner of TotCmd, now on v.9.0a (x64) under Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
In order to try to solve another problem, I restored a 3 month old Farstone drive image of C:. Something I normally do about 4 times a year. And suddenly I can't open files in TC. I get the error message "Access denied" (that is my translation from Danish "adgang nægtet"). But I can open the files in Windows Pathfinder (I think it's called, or maybe File Explorer). I have never experienced anything like that. Please help.

Best regards,
Henrik R.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Try opening them via context menu. Maybe this gives a more descriptive message about the issue.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

Dalai wrote:Try opening them via context menu. Maybe this gives a more descriptive message about the issue.
Yes. I get this message: "Windows could not gain access to the indicated unit, path or file. You may not have the necessary rights to gain access to the element."
But a moment later I gain immediate access to the same file from Windows Pathfinder!
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

HeRo wrote:
Dalai wrote:Try opening them via context menu. Maybe this gives a more descriptive message about the issue.
Yes. I get this message: "Windows could not gain access to the indicated unit, path or file. You may not have the necessary rights to gain access to the element."
But a moment later I gain immediate access to the same file from Windows Pathfinder!
Well... I gave up and restored my drive image of the system partition again, and that seems to have solved the problem.
First I tried repairing the TC-installation in Control Panel, but that didn't help.