OneDrive on demand sync

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eschweighofer

OneDrive on demand sync

Post by *eschweighofer »

Hello,

seems like the latest version of TC does not support the new On Demand sync feature of One Drive. This works in a way that first time I try to open a file OneDrive will download it to local disk, next time it is open from the local copy.

Any plans to add this support?

Thanks
Erik
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

What mode you are talking about ?
OneDrive access by TC plugin or the local OneDrive client tree ?
TC has no influence how the local client works.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

How to access OneDrive with TC?

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hello and welcome, Erik

As far as I know, TC utilize a plugin to access the cloud.

Do you happen to utilize that plugin >
viewtopic.php?t=41512&highlight=onedrive

See Configuration> Options... > Plugins > WFX > [Configure]

If not, you may want to try that plugin, or wait for an answer of the Author Mr. Ghisler...

Or maybe other members will point you in the right direction.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you mean files in the file system: There doesn't seem to be a documented function to detect such files, or to download them. What you can do is right click (for about 1 second) and then open the file, this should trigger the download.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
eschweighofer

Post by *eschweighofer »

Hello guys,

I meant, local files. The sync is done with the OneDrive Sync app, but on demand (new feature in the latest OneDrive sync client. It means by default I can see all my OneDrive files "as local files" but they are not really downloaded to my disk. This happens only when I a) first open it b) I select the file to be kept on my PC.
Total cmd is not able to open such a file even it is downloaded. I assume this is because is is only some shortcut to a local OneDrive cache...

I did some further tests and the trick seems to be not to open it with a <ENTER> by via right click (Windows standard content menu) and this causes to launch it "from windows" not "from totalcmd".

as this was my first post, I was not able to add links...

Thanks
Erik
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

eschweighofer wrote:Hello guys,

I meant, local files. The sync is done with the OneDrive Sync app, but on demand (new feature in the latest OneDrive sync client. It means by default I can see all my OneDrive files "as local files" but they are not really downloaded to my disk. This happens only when I a) first open it b) I select the file to be kept on my PC.
Total cmd is not able to open such a file even it is downloaded. I assume this is because is is only some shortcut to a local OneDrive cache...

I did some further tests and the trick seems to be not to open it with a <ENTER> by via right click (Windows standard content menu) and this causes to launch it "from windows" not "from totalcmd".

as this was my first post, I was not able to add links...

Thanks
Erik
From the Microsoft article:
Files On-Demand is coming to Windows Insider Preview early this summer and will be publicly available with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
So there is no actual need for testing as its not avilable for normal users.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
normal users
"Normal users" are those who use Explorer. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is available already for files in the "OneDrive" folder now. Apparently Microsoft didn't care to update Windows API functions like ShellExecuteEx or CopyFileEx (used by TC) to handle such files.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found out why this happens - because the OneDrive folder is reported with FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT attribute. Total Commander tries to resolve this reparse point before calling ShellExecuteEx as a workaround to a bug in Windows (ShellExecuteEx fails if the launched EXE is in a path containing relative links). This is done with the function call:
DeviceIoControl(hdir,FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT,...

The problem is that this call returns success, but the reported reparse point target is an empty string. Total Commander therefore calls ShellExecuteEx with wrong parameters.

I will fix it in the next version.

For now, just right click on the file and choose "Open" or its name to open it.