This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F5 copy option to switch to queue after start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC suggestions (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pschurter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: F5 copy option to switch to queue after start Reply with quote

I often find myself copying a lot of files through f5->OK. It has often happened that after the copy starts, I realize I need to copy more files, but since the copy dialog is already running, the only option would be to do it in background and add a second instance of file copy, or cancel the copy and start a queued copy and ignore the duplicates. Having two or more simultaneous copy dialogs running usually make the system crawl. It would be nice if there was an option to switch from the regular copy dialog to the queue after the copy process has begun, so I could keep adding files to copy, or move without swamping the system.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make TC always use BTM by setting AlwaysCopyInBackground=2 in wincmd.ini (refer to TOTALCMD.CHM, section 4.b).
siealex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having two or more simultaneous copy dialogs running usually make the system crawl.

Minimize the background copy dialogs immediately after creating them.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siealex,
Minimizing won't make them run sequentially, them will copy simultaneously and slow down each other.
KamilFKH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: F5 copy option to switch to queue after start Reply with quote

I would support this pschurter request to be able to move/transfer current foreground or background F5 copy job into the queue as well.

I would propose:

Arrow 1) to make a most right button of the standard F5 Copy foreground window to be a dropdown button (e.g. the same button like in TC config window in path Configuration/Display/Icons the 16x16 button is, to choose icons size in main menu) with two selectable functions - first "Background" as it is at the moment and second e.g. "Add To Queue" or "Move to Queue" at authors wish.

Arrow 2) to make a TC8.51a background copy window "Foreground" button a dropdown button as well again with two selectable functions - first "Foreground" as it is at the moment and second e.g. "Add To Queue" or "Move to Queue" at authors wish.

Arrow 3) If both buttons change is possible to program, please add default buttons value/option to configuration for each of the buttons to configuration window/INI files

Foreground copy window custom button default value: Background/Add to Queue
Background copy window custom button default value: Foreground/Add to Queue

I am not sure whether to ask where to add the current copy action into the Queue window (front - pause queue copy job and finish foreground copy job first / back - pause foreground copy job and add the rest of the job to the end of the queue) or not, but I would default this to "add foreground copy job to the end of the queue".

I do not see any reason to ask for transfering queue job back to foreground.

I hope that this idea does not mean the whole copy part redesigning but it would help. The MVV´s sugestion solves the issue in a kind of a way, but when one is not always using BTM and wants to see standard copy forground windows with all of its information, the queueing of the altready started copy job is the issue then.

Thanks for a comment at least or implementation at the best. Cool Wink Cheers, KamilFKH
slabam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I support this idea too.
Please, will you add this functionality?. Thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately F5 copy and F5 queue are two completely separate functions, which run in their own separate threads. It's not possible to move operations between the two.
TAttila

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I often find myself copying a lot of files through f5->OK. It has often happened that after the copy starts, I realize I need to copy more files"
Yeah.. Me too . Same situation.

The first answer was the best solution (for me):
put the " AlwaysCopyInBackground=2 " line into wincmd.ini

I sure: F5 - "Queued copy" to default option (active OK button) its good for everyone. :-)

Not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC suggestions (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: