Change of Home and End navigation keys in Compare by Content

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Change of Home and End navigation keys in Compare by Content

Post by *petermad »

I suggest that the function of the Home and End keys are changed in the Compare by Content window, so that they match the function in Lister.

In Lister (and in most text editors) Home and End moves horizontally to the start and the end of the current line, while Ctrl+Home and Crl+End moves vertically to the start or the end of the file.

I suggest that the behaviour should be the same in Compare by Content in view mode - just as it already is in edit mode - I often compare files with very long lines and after having scrolled to the right for a while to find the difference it would be nice just to press Home to get back to the start of the line again. I know I can use Alt+LeftArrow to scroll 30 characters at a time, but still Home would be faster - and more intuitive - since it is standard for most editors and viewers.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, it is the same as in Lister when you enable the cursor (F6). That's also true for Home/End in Lister: If you disable the cursor, it also jumps to the first/last line.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I see - I hadn't checked it in lister with the cursor off - I always have it on.

So my suggestion will be to make Home and End work the same in both Lister and Compare by Content, no matter if the curser/edit mode is enabled or not.
Last edited by petermad on 2017-07-25, 01:23 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Should you implement this suggestion, please make it optional. I think that Home/End should do what they're doing now when edit mode in Compare by Contents is disabled: jump up/down. Maybe an additional key combination to "jump-scroll" left/right would be better? Something like Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror