This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal TAR Archiver corrupts TARs if they are too big

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC9.0x bug reports (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirantali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Internal TAR Archiver corrupts TARs if they are too big Reply with quote

I tested it with v9.0a 32bit on Windows 10 64bit and the Bug is serious because the size of the TAR itself match but if you enter the TAR most files and directories are missing.

Also restoring the whole TAR doesn't help either, the files and directories that was missing in the listing are also missing on restore, so those files and directories are definitely lost.

It happens if the TAR gets to big, like around 45GB, it's easy to test and happens always.

I also tested it with 7z and store only and this works fine, nothing missing.

So beware using Total Commanders TAR for backups or similar if the size gets ~45GB+ the size of the TAR will match but files and whole directories will be lost, so this bug is a bit dangerous.

I won't use Total Commanders TAR anymore, and use 7z store instead till this is fixed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the TAR created? With Total Commander? Some other tool? If TC did you check the option "Create TAR files for Linux"?
Nirantali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was created using the TC internal TAR and i tried it with "Create TAR files for Linux" on and off, doesn't change anything.

Also to reproduce it i tested it with an a gamefolder that is ~45GB and should be the same for all that have it the Dishonored 2 steam folder.

The resulting TAR is 45GB, the content only shows ~7.6GB and if the 45GB TAR is unpacked as whole only ~7.6Gb is unpacked, but it goes trough the whole 45GB.

Packing the same folder with 7z plugin and choosing store only the resulting archive is 45GB and all content is visible and also unpacked successfully.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just created a 53 GB TAR file for test purposes, containing 207 large files in various subfolders. Then I unpacked it and compared the results with the original files (by content). All files were completely unpacked, and there were no differences to the originals.

Apparently something must be happening on your system around that 7.6GB mark. For example, it could be a problematic file name (too long, bad name like nul or so), or the system could be running out of file handles.

It could also be the number of files you pack. Could you please enter your TAR file and press Ctrl+B, then select one file to see the total number of files?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC9.0x bug reports (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: