[SOLVED - no bug] files different in date in DIR sync tool

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Snapuman

[SOLVED - no bug] files different in date in DIR sync tool

Post by *Snapuman »

Hi there,

found nothing about this: I made a comparison of files, which some of them differ only from date. (using TC 9.0a x64)
TC find's the difference correctly, as seen in the screenshot 1 + 2 at the bottom line (there are 36), but doesn't display them if I klick to view the not equal Items. :(
screen1: Image: http://www.imageshack.com/a/img923/7543/NgB80T.png
screen2: Image: http://www.imageshack.com/a/img923/5246/6vmsIT.png

If I do the search with ignoring date enabled, the items are shown under equal. So it seems definitly a bug... (or is there a "hidden" setting responsible for, which I didn't find yet?)
screen3: Image: http://www.imageshack.com/a/img923/6276/pgNllb.png

Hope this helps and will be corrected (if it's a bug). :)

Greetings from Germany

PS: I meanwhile deleted the other 76 equal items in screenshot 2 + 3, if anyone wonders about... ^^

PPS: I'm not allowed for URL yet because new member, :( will change this tomorrow
Last edited by Snapuman on 2017-07-21, 18:46 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

This is not a bug. The files are NOT UNEQUAL, they're just different because of their date. You have to enable => and/or <= to see them. The files are only unequal when TC either ignores the date and/or compares them by content.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Snapuman

Post by *Snapuman »

Ok, they are not unequal (as image) but they are different/unequal in date (as TC recognizes them) :)
Therefore, IMHO, the option "ignore date" generally exists in TC. If files are equal in content but differ in filedate. Right? ;)

Please look again to my screenshot 1. At the bottom TC recognizes "different 0/36" and at the top "show unequal" is enabled.

So at the bottom should rightly be written "different 36/36" because "shown unequal" at the top is checked.

Or to look at the problem from point of pure logic, look at screenshot 2. There are both at the top checked, "show equal" and "show unequal". So for my experience with logic, if both are checked, ALL files should be shown (because, they only can be different OR Equal - i don't know another state ^^)

Ok there is a difference in the terms "different" and "unequal", but as far as I understand, that means the same in the TC sync tool... or isn't it?

To enable => (or <=)changes nothing, only checking "ignore date" makes TC to show them (but then of course as equal - not unequal ;) ).

Same If I check "by content", they are shown only in list if checked "ignore date" at the same time.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

OK, let's get more into detail here. When "Ignore date" is disabled TC compares the following attributes first: date and size. If it detects a difference only in size, the file pair is unequal because TC can't judge which file the user wants to keep. If the file pair differs only by date, it already knows which file the user wants to keep - or at least this is assumed. Therefore the files are not rated as unequal but only as different.

The status bar sums up different (by date) AND unequal (by size, contents) files into one number. That's all.

If you enable =>, <=, duplicates (and singles) you should see your files.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Snapuman

Post by *Snapuman »

Ah so unequal and different aren't the same for TC. I begin to understand this...

I looked again: If I check only => without ignore date, the files appear in the right window as to be overwritten by the equal but different (newer) files from left.
Honestly I may have noticed this before, but there are over 5000 files in the left dir vs 36 in the right, so I had to scroll and search a while to find them in the list. ^^

So this is not a bug, it's a feature, for TC thinks newer files are more relevant... damn AI! :D

OK, Thank you very much for your patience and help, now I understand this almighty tool a little better again... 8)

Have a nice weekend! *SUN*
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Snapuman

If you want to really be sure that the files are different you can choose the two options "by content" and "ignore date"

They are well described in the help:
by content Compares the content of files which have the same size and date. It checks that the files also have the same content. A modification of this option makes a new comparison necessary.
Compare by content via FTP is supported only when the server supports one of the following commands (and announces this via FEAT command): XCRC, XMD5, MD5, XSHA1. Total Commander then calculates the same checksum type locally as the server returns, and then compares the two.
When comparing two files from the file system (not from FTP or archives) a button is shown which allows to choose content plugins for comparison:
[++] The plugin compare mode is activated
[>>] The plugin compare mode is inactive but can be used
The internal compare mode [=tc.compare as text] compares two files as plain text like in "Compare by content". Different types of line breaks (Windows, Unix, MacOS) will be ignored.

ignore date If this option is selected, files with same size and name are considered identical. If additionally the option "by content" is selected, files with the same size are also compared by content. The result of such a comparison only yields to the result 'equal' or 'not equal' - the copy direction needs to be set by the user. A modification of this option makes a new comparison necessary.
If you want to compare images by content even if the file sizes are different you can use this plugin: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=25768
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Snapuman

Post by *Snapuman »

2petermad that wasn't the point for me (I know how to be sure ^^) the important thing was detecting differences in date (pictures, who had wrong filedate because of android filesystem limitations -.- btw, I read about that this in Android O maybe will be changed... we'll see...).

But the plugin seems interesting, thx for this information! :)