Total commander very slow comparing folders in a new compute

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ciclotron

Total commander very slow comparing folders in a new compute

Post by *ciclotron »

Hi all!!

I am an old user of Total Commander. I mainly use this program to check my security copies of information.

I have two usb 3.0 external drives with 1TB and 2TB of space respectively.

In my old computer I used to compare and synchronize the folders between these two usbs.

I active the asymmetric comparison between folders including subfolders, comparing by content, ignoring date and empty folders. My aim is to have an exact copy of one hard disk I use everyday with another one that is a security copy.

I admit than in the past the process was slow but I had 2.0 usb ports in my computer.

Now, in the new computer, all my usb ports are 3.0 and the process is slower.

Am I missing something? I hope someone can help me to accelerate the process.

Thank you in advance
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Since there are two drives involved you should find out which one is slow. To do that, you can either do a search on both drives and compare the time TC needs to complete it, and/or you can copy some large files to local disk or something to see the transfer speed.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

The first thing which I came into my mind was the fact, that each USB controller has 2 ports.
It will slow down transfer speed, if you connect the 2 drives to the 2 ports of the same controller.

Just disconnect first drive and connect it to an other port ...
#5767 Personal license