Questions about running TC on two PCs with different configs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

risk

Questions about running TC on two PCs with different configs

Post by *risk »

I have two PCs that I use on regular basis. Files and folders, including Total Commander in Portable mode, are synchronized via Dropbox. This works fine and I can access TC on either PC.

I would like to have different configurations for each PC without having to maintain two separate TC installation folders. I know I can use the /i commandline parameter to point to different wincmd.ini files and in each of these files I can load a different button bar. Here are my questions:

1. How do I deal with Colors.ini if I want different colors to be used on each PC?
2. How do I load different vertical bars on each PC?
3. Can I have different color schemes on each PC?
4. Besides wincmd.ini, default.bar, and colors.ini, are there any others that I can customize for each PC?
5. Finally, is it a good idea to keep everything in one directory or is there a best practice to have TC running from one folder on multiple PCs?

Thank you.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can redirect specific wincmd.ini sections to a separate INI files using envvars in redirected paths (you have to set some variable to different values on each PC or just use %USERNAME% if user names are different). So colors and buttonbars may be redirected easilly (you can redirect whole buttonbar section or just use envvar in paths to BAR files, you don't have to use default.bar, BAR file may be anywhere with any name).

Perhaps the only section that you can't redirect is Configuration - it has to be the same for both PCs. All other sections or paths to bars, editors etc may use envvars.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

[Configuration] section can be redirected except "AlternateUserIni" and "UseIniInProgramDir" keys.
risk

Post by *risk »

Thanks for the responses. The combo of RedirectSection and %computername% work beautifully!

TC continues to amaze me.