F7 - Visual difference between x32 and x64 TC versions

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

F7 - Visual difference between x32 and x64 TC versions

Post by *wanderer »

Place TC window at the center of the screen (i tested in 1920x1080).
Assuming there are a lot of items in F7 history combo box (40 items).
Press F7 to expand the combobox.

Win7x32: a vertical scrollbar appears in the expanded combobox
Win7x64: a vertical scrollbar does not appear in the expanded combobox

Set Settings \ Fonts \ DPI to 120 (the issue becomes more obvious that way) and retry the above steps.

You will now notice that in x64 version, the expanded combobox covers almost all of the F7 dialog. It does not open above or below the dialog but over it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm. Same with Shift+F4 (if there are many lines).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's because the number of lines configured for the dropdown combobox isn't the same. I will check it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's because the number of lines configured for the dropdown combobox isn't the same. I will check it.
I don't know how it's done now but it would probably look better if it was dynamic, depending on the vertical resolution of the screen.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in TC 9.10 beta 3, please test it!
I'm using a fixed number of max. 30 entries now.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Well, yes, this is OK, it seems there are more differences though. I'm not sure if these should be considered bugs or if we're just stretching things too much, but both the F7 dialog and the main panel have some visual differences (in x32, DPI=200, i notice larger buttons in main window, overlapping buttons in F7 window, maybe others).

Are you interested in that type of differences?

https://imgur.com/a/T4HAJ

LEFT: x64 - RIGHT: x32
1: Larger buttons
2: Overlapping buttons in x32
3: Different dialog height

EDIT: OK, the cause of those differences is the fact that the main window is not (properly?) updated when "apply" is pressed in Options. If you close and reopen both versions after changing the settings, everything seems similar (minor differences). Things seem pretty different from 9.0a though.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming the fix of the original issue!

Regarding your other complaints:
1. I cannot confirm any difference between 32-bit and 64-bit, I get larger buttons for both. I think I should link their size to the main window font size, not to the dialog box scaling factor.

2. Sorry, this cannot be avoided. The items are scaled proportionally, so it can lead to rounding errors.

3. Delphi and Lazarus calculate dialog height differently, so it cannot be avoided, sorry.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

As i said:
wanderer wrote:I'm not sure if these should be considered bugs or if we're just stretching things too much
These are not actually bugs and perhaps even discussing them is nitpicking.

Regarding (1) though, i think the key is this:
wanderer wrote:The cause of those differences is the fact that the main window is not (properly?) updated when "apply" is pressed in Options. If you close and reopen both versions after changing the settings, everything seems similar.
The main window (size of buttons) is not updated when you press OK in options. You have to close and reopen TC to see the buttons adjusted to the new DPI. That's what originally confused me because i changed the setting in an open TCx64, then started the x32 and noticed the differences. I don't consider this to be a bug necessarily, but it might be a good idea to refresh the main window as well, when OK or Apply is pressed in Options (if this is possible).

Again though, there are differences between 9.0a and the betas. In 9.0a, the vertical size of the buttons is also enlarged. In the betas, only the horizontal is enlarged. Is this intentional?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The main window is scaled with the main window font, not with the dialog box font.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The main window is scaled with the main window font, not with the dialog box font.
OK, but when the DPI is changed, the width of some buttons in the main window is changed too. This is not reflected immediately. You have to restart TC to see it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, yes, they are resized only when created. For now I will not change it, it would need far too many code changes and many additional weeks of beta testing...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Ah, yes, they are resized only when created. For now I will not change it, it would need far too many code changes and many additional weeks of beta testing...
OK, it's not that big of a problem, it just confused me during the test because i hadn't realized it works that way.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯