[9.10 b3] Mark\Compare dirs peculiarity with time comparison

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

[9.10 b3] Mark\Compare dirs peculiarity with time comparison

Post by *wanderer »

I have two files in a folder with the same date. If their time difference is <4", then in Mark\Compare Directories they are marked as "the same" (not selected). If their difference is 4" or more, the newer one is selected. This behaviour is also happening in 9.0a.

In INI: 1hourdif=1

IIRC, in a similar post some years ago, Christian had said that a 1" difference was justifiable/normal. This is a 3" difference though.

Tested with b3x32 and b3x64 under Win7x64.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

While reading 1st sentence, I've been pretty sure that " means seconds (as usually in the world)... But 1hourdif option has broken my assumption... And this is the only thing that links " with hours, so it isn't clear...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

MVV wrote:While reading 1st sentence, I've been pretty sure that " means seconds (as usually in the world)... But 1hourdif option has broken my assumption... And this is the only thing that links " with hours, so it isn't clear...
:shock: :) ok, of course it means seconds, you correctly understood (at first). I added the 1hour diff comment because i read in another post that it may play some role on how seconds are handled.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

wanderer,
Yes, well, the FAT32 timestamp precision is 2 seconds, so two files can be 4 seconds apart and still be the same.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:wanderer,
Yes, well, the FAT32 timestamp precision is 2 seconds, so two files can be 4 seconds apart and still be the same.

Roman
Hmm... My experience was this:

- NTFS (formatted from Win7SP1)
- Files 3 seconds apart were the same.
- Files 4 seconds apart were not the same.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

wanderer,
I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say. Basically you are confirming what I just said?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:wanderer,
I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say. Basically you are confirming what I just said?

Roman
I don't think so. I'm using NTFS, not FAT32 so this shouldn't happen, right?

EDIT: OK, to be more clear, files with a 2 and 3" difference should be shown as different in NTFS, right?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

wanderer,
TC does not check what file system you are using.

Roman