Popup window to rename a filename/folder name

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sdaughtry

Popup window to rename a filename/folder name

Post by *sdaughtry »

An amazing feature in FreeCommander XE that puzzlingly is not found in any other file manager - when F2 is pressed to rename a file or folder a popup window appears to help rename the item. Really wish TC could emulate this feature - it is executed perfectly in FreeCommander and why I have multiple file managers on my PC....
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

sdaughtry,
Do you mean like when pressing F6?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Popup window to rename a filename/folder name

Post by *Dalai »

sdaughtry wrote:[...] a popup window appears to help rename the item.
Help how and with what exactly?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sdaughtry

Post by *sdaughtry »

By help I mean the popup window stays onscreen until the OK or CANCEL button is pressed (unlike other programs that terminate editing when the window loses focus). FreeCommander also can separate the filename from the file extension in that popup window for the filename. One additional idea to further enhance what FreeCommander started (but lacks) is a checkbox that, when checked, would Propercase the filename or folder name so you don't have to worry about holding down a shift key while typing.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

sdaughtry,
Hacker wrote:Do you mean like when pressing F6?
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I see. See Hacker's answer: press F6. And you should try pressing the F6 multiple times (in the copy/move dialog window) to toggle the filename selection, so you don't have to worry about separation of the extension and stuff.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Hacker
Hacker wrote:
Do you mean like when pressing F6?
Maybe you should refrase it to: Do you mean like when pressing F6 - after opening the same folder in both panels.

2Dalai
And you should try pressing the F6 multiple times (in the copy/move dialog window) to toggle the filename selection, so you don't have to worry about separation of the extension and stuff.
This also works inline with Shift+F6
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
after opening the same folder in both panels
That is not really necessary.

Roman
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

petermad wrote:[...] after opening the same folder in both panels.
This is optional since you can just start typing, thus replacing the target path.
This also works inline with Shift+F6
Yes, I know that F5, F6 and Shift+F6 can be used that way. I specifically mentioned F6 because it's about this dialog/function, and to not make it more complicated.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

sdaughtry

Post by *sdaughtry »

F2 is the Windows standard hotkey to rename a file or folder... not F5 / Shift-F5 / F6 (or pressing a function key multiple times).

I still prefer the way that FreeCommander handles this common task; I recommend you download that free application and see it operate firsthand... maybe then you'll see why I recommended this small interface tweak to TC. I rename hundreds of files a week; when I have to perform this task I always close TC and fire up FreeCommander...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

sdaughtry,
I recommend you download that free application and see it operate firsthand... maybe then you'll see why I recommended this small interface tweak to TC
Well, perhaps you could describe what you'd like changed instead of everyone dowloading and running another program.

Roman
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

sdaughtry wrote:F2 is the Windows standard hotkey to rename a file or folder... not F5 / Shift-F5 / F6 (or pressing a function key multiple times).

Options > Misc > Redefine hotkeys: Select F2 from the dropdown menu and assign cm_RenameSingleFile the get the same renaming feature as in Explorer and TC (in-place rename). You can also assign cm_MoveOnly to get the same dialog you get with F6 in TC - which is probably closer to what you want. Press the green check mark when done before closing the settings dialog.
I recommend you download that free application and see it operate firsthand... maybe then you'll see why I recommended this small interface tweak to TC.
Well, I prefer the TC way. But I can see the advantage of a separate window so that switching window focus doesn't abort renaming. Which is why we said that you should try F6 on a file.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

sdaughtry

Post by *sdaughtry »

Hacker wrote:sdaughtry,
I recommend you download that free application and see it operate firsthand... maybe then you'll see why I recommended this small interface tweak to TC
Well, perhaps you could describe what you'd like changed instead of everyone dowloading and running another program.

Roman
Hacker - I guess we will agree to disagree... I thought my 2nd post was pretty clear what interface change I wanted (and thought would be beneficial to th eTC community).. and then provided everyone with the means to see that interface in action...

I will do as I've been doing for several years... keep multiple file management tools installed and use them for different tasks

:(
Scott D.
TC License #98114
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

sdaughtry,
I thought my 2nd post was pretty clear what interface change I wanted
Well, since what you described in your 2nd post is already implemented in TC I still wonder what you feel is missing.

Roman
sdaughtry

Post by *sdaughtry »

Hacker - IMO, what I am wanting is not 'already implemented' in TC... that is why I took the effort to create the initial post and then apparently waste more of my time debating with you on this topic.

You know, several years ago I asked for a behavioral change in TC and got reamed for it on this forum. I see nothing has changed within the 'TC Elite'... which is a shame.

Please forget I ever asked for this GUI change. I will continue using one of the two other file management tools I have on my PC for this task... bye.
Scott D.
TC License #98114