Navigation history is global; I suggest a per-tab folder history

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, using the tab menu sounds like an interesting idea, and a separate internal command too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sgp

Post by *sgp »

Sorry for reviving a year-old thread. I just want to know if per-tab history ever did get added to a newer version of TC.
TIA
Kenjiro

Post by *Kenjiro »

Sorry for reviving even older thread, but i could not find any information, that history-per-tab option is available now.
My case is about 10 tabs for every panel and having only global history makes me set history length to 100 or greater...
Kenjiro

Re: no per-tab folder history!

Post by *Kenjiro »

It will be almost ten years after first post and still no history per tab. I have about 10 tabs per side and have to enlarge history size to 100 to have access to some least used ones, but it is still too low for me, only because it is not possible to have different history for frequent and not very frequent used tabs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please re-read my comment above:
I have experimented with per tab history when I added the tabs, but it was just not usable. It's different from a Web browser where you normally open one site per tab, and then go to subpages of that site. In Total Commander, your PC is just one site, so you would often be in the situation where you need to go to a previous folder from a different tab.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-07-11, 09:39 UTC Please re-read my comment above:
I have experimented with per tab history when I added the tabs, but it was just not usable. It's different from a Web browser where you normally open one site per tab, and then go to subpages of that site. In Total Commander, your PC is just one site, so you would often be in the situation where you need to go to a previous folder from a different tab.
What is not usable is to only have per tab history! But it is not stupid for who work with custom view on dedicated tab to have an optional filtered history per tab.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Perhaps it could be done like this?

Code: Select all

[Tab History]
Tab History Item 1
Tab History Item 2
Tab History Item 3
Tab History Item 20
--------------------
[Global History]
Global History Item 1
Global History Item 2
Global History Item 3
Global History Item 20
An INI setting could be used:
TabHistory=1
1 = Global history only
2 = Per tab history only
3 = Global history on top, Tab history on bottom
4 = Tab history on top, Global history on bottom

Or there could be separate internal commands for global and tab histories?

You also mentioned using the Tab context menu sounded like a good idea.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Kenjiro

Post by *Kenjiro »

@Author: It looks like my workflow is so different than Yours. I'm using tabs similar to pages on browsers and have multiple tabs (more than 10 per side) which i could name "projects". Mixing directories between "projects" are not useful at all and just misleading.
ahauan4

Post by *ahauan4 »

I'm also using the tabs for different projects.
Currently if I am switching folders in one tab for one project a lot and then after a while switch to a different project (=tab) the history is filled up with folders from the first project (tab) and I'm unable to find entries for the second project (=tab) anymore, because they have moved out of history.
It would be a great benefit for me, if there would be a per tab history, which would mean a history per project in my case.
I'm waiting for this for a long time. So if you have time this would be a great feature to implement.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Kenjiro
2ahauan4
You can use separate instances of TC for separate projects. Implementing history per tab seems to be impossible with current history organization - it should be moved to separate file.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
vojtech.fried

Re: Navigation history is global; I suggest a per-tab folder history

Post by *vojtech.fried »

I also use tabs as in a web browser. Same as in a web browser I have a set of "static" tabs that I keep open all the time. I would not call them "projects". Maybe "places" or "favourite folders". But not having history tabs based is something that goes against how I work with the tabs and I always struggle with it, I don't think that switching tabs is a change in history. If it is I would still probably expect that tcmd would activate the previous tab instead of changing the directory in the current tab (if I navigate back). Having multiple tcmd instances for all my static tabs is not an option, it would be similar to have multiple windows of a web browser. For me I don't really see the difference between web browser tabs and tcmd (file browser) tabs in regards to history. I seldom open or close tabs in tcmd.
Since this seems to be subjective, it would be really great to have the option to use tab based history.
Picant

Post by *Picant »

I also vote very strongly for a per-tab history.
I was quite confused with this "strange" (in my opinion) history behavior. I evaluate TC for about two weeks now and very quickly I stumbled over this behavior. Since there are many options in the settings and ini file I thought there must be one for this.

I would be very happy to have the option for per-tab history instead of the global panel history.
@Christian Ghisler: You stated, that it would not be very difficult to implement. Let user make their choice of the history behavior.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's really not a good idea, the directory you want to go back to will ALWAYS be on a different tab. It's not like on the web where you usually browse one site per tab...
Picant

Post by *Picant »

So tabs are more like shortcuts to folders with their own visual settings.
When I think about tabs I think about a separate panel for each tab (with its own history). If you want, like a web browser. That's what I expect.
Of coarse, I can run different instances of TC to achieve a similar effect. I already run an instance for each customer but each customer has several active projects and it would be nice to have each project in a separate tab with its own history.

I don't understand your statement 'will ALWAYS be on a different tab'. Can you please explain?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, they work more like bookmarks.

For "go back"/"go forward" a separate history per tab would be better, but for returning to a previously visited directory, a global history is better.