About caculate space by everything

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kesdoputr

About caculate space by everything

Post by *kesdoputr »

I have setting EverythingForSize=1 in wincmd.ini,everything is running and have setting everything to index file size,but i fount that:

ex.Here is a dir picture have over 10000up jpg

Step.1 When i restart tc and press space key on this dir,it still take a few times.
but if i use below operation

Step.2.1 Restart tc and press space key on another small dir and get the space,then i press on the dir picture,it will show size almost immediately.
or
Step.2.2 Restart tc and press space key on dir picture,when tc is still caculate space i press esc to cancel this operation and press space key again,
and now i get the dir size immediately

It seems the first time press space key to caculate space tc is not get index from everything,
but after caculate one time(the step 2.1or 2.2),all the operation will get everything's info correctly.

I don't know it's a bug or not that tc seems doesn't call everything on first time.
Thx for your watching :D

PS.by the way,will the operation CTRL+L Calculate occupied space (of the selected files)
can also use everything to make it fast?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If Everything doesn't respond, or reports that it's busy, TC will use the old, slower method to get the folder sizes.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If Everything doesn't respond, or reports that it's busy, TC will use the old, slower method to get the folder sizes.
But now i found everytime when i open a new tc and caculate size tc will use the old method.
But just after one time,as long as i don't restart a new instance,tc get file size almost immediately by everything.

Anyway it's not a big problem,i dont't restart tc frequently only when a new version is release or test some plugin,thx for reply :D
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

kesdoputr wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:If Everything doesn't respond, or reports that it's busy, TC will use the old, slower method to get the folder sizes.
But now i found everytime when i open a new tc and caculate size tc will use the old method.
But just after one time,as long as i don't restart a new instance,tc get file size almost immediately by everything.

Anyway it's not a big problem,i dont't restart tc frequently only when a new version is release or test some plugin,thx for reply :D
You should have the Everything service running and also an Everything task in the background. This is the way to have most of the time instant results.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

Horst.Epp wrote:You should have the Everything service running and also an Everything task in the background. This is the way to have most of the time instant results.
Oh,didn't think for service,i will try later
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

I use Everything.exe -install-service and run a everything background.
But still that tc will use old method on first time.
Well, it's not a big problem :D
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

kesdoputr wrote:I use Everything.exe -install-service and run a everything background.
What version of Everything do you running ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2kesdoputr

Have you enabled "Index folder size" under Everythings "Indexes" option?

Maybe the speed improval you see the second time you try calculating is just because of Windows' cache, and that Everything is not used at all - because "Index folder size" is not enabled.
Last edited by petermad on 2017-10-23, 18:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

Horst.Epp wrote:
kesdoputr wrote:I use Everything.exe -install-service and run a everything background.
What version of Everything do you running ?
Everything 1.4.1.877 x64

I run everythin in tc with the command
%COMMANDER_PATH%\TOOLS\Everything\Everything.exe -admin -config Everything.ini -instance %COMPUTERNAME% -db %COMPUTERNAME%.db
and have setting UseEverythingInstance=%COMPUTERNAME% in wincmd.ini
Last edited by kesdoputr on 2017-10-23, 18:08 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

petermad wrote:2kesdoputr

Have you enabled "Index folder size" under Everythings "Indexes" option?
Yes,so i can get space immediately in tc except the first time.
It seams tc and everything get a link after the first operation,
until i restart tc the link is always exist.(I don't know how it works it's just my imagine :D )

Would you try the step that i post in top and see if the situation is true?

By the way my OS is win7 SP1 x64.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2kesdoputr
Would you try the step that i post in top and see if the situation is true?
I just did (Windows 7 x64)

And I can actually confirm that if I, after restart of TC, press space on a large folder like c:\windows - it takes a little time before the space is shown.

I can also confirm that if I press space on a small folder first, and then on c:\windows - then the size of c:´\windows is shown immediately.

But interestingly enough - if I right after restart of TC, in the root of c:\ press Shift+Alt+Enter - the the sizes of all folders in the root is shown immediately, without the delay that I see if just pressing space on a single folder.

Also interesting is that if I (after restart of TC) press Space on two folders quickly after eachother (I use SpaceMovesDown=1 in wincmd.ini) - then there is no delay showing the folder sizes either.

So I don't think the theory of TC having to establish a connection (a link as you call it) is true, because then I should also see the delay when pressing Shift+Alt+Enter, which I don't.

Another observation. If I start TC and calculate the size of a folder and then start a second instance of TC, the calculating of a single folder again is done with delay, even though the first instance of TC, which no longer has a delay, is still running.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

Thank you for test,my situation is a little different.

First:
When i restart tc,and preee Shift+Alt+Enter,if the first dir is a small dir or emtpy,i will get result immediately,but if the first dir is the big dir it still take time.
The same result when i setting SpaceMovesDown=1.

ex.here is my dir on drive I:
https://i.imgur.com/QymMb9X.png
the first time i get the dir ACG's size will take a little time(with space or alt+shift+enter)
but if i make a empty dir on it
https://i.imgur.com/R76sgDv.png
then the alt+shift+enter show result immediately(because tc calls everything on the first empty dir)
but if i first press space on dir ACG,it still take time.(because tc calls everything on the first big dir)

Would you test that when the big dir is put on first and press alt+shift+enter?

Second:
It seams always take time with dir that is mark as <LNK> ?
even if i have press space first time and i can get from other big dir immediately
It still take time(and more long time)on the dir mark as <LNK>
https://i.imgur.com/H9lcDKZ.png
https://i.imgur.com/dQRBvAW.png
because the first dir is mark as <LNK>,the second picture can see all dir is ? while i press alt+shift+enter

Thx for your watching :)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm that if I use reversed name sorting so that c;\windows is the first directory in the list, then there is some delay the first time sh**+Alt+Enter is pressed.
Last edited by petermad on 2017-10-24, 14:42 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
kesdoputr

Post by *kesdoputr »

Thx for your test,well it's not a big problem,i restart tc only on change settings or test plugins :)