How do "Verify after copy" actually work?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Darkjedidisciple

How do "Verify after copy" actually work?

Post by *Darkjedidisciple »

Hi all.
I wonder how the verify option when you copy or move a file actually works, what happens exactly?

In advance, Thx for your help :)
silencer

Post by *silencer »

From the help:

Code: Select all

With the option Verify enabled, Total Commander reads the copied file again after copying finishes, and compares its MD5 checksum with the original. The disk cache will be bypassed.
l0o

Re: How do "Verify after copy" actually work?

Post by *l0o »

Hello!
I know it is old thread - but could those md5 hashes generated during copy session be saved after test? For future use?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I could add this, but where should they be stored? And what if a file with that name already exists?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
l0o

Post by *l0o »

Thank you very much for answer! TC is - no doubt - the best thing in Windows people can buy! :)

IMHO - please do it as easy as possible.
It could be turned on by user during move/copy prompt - smthng as 'Verify' we have now.
Md5 checksums (in one file per copy session) could be stored just in root directory if folder(s)/file(s) are copied to root dir or in destination folder - if files/folders are copied to selected folder.

And what if a file with that name already exists?
You mean md5 file? Maybe automatically add number to md5 file name if same already exist (we will see which is which by date).

Option to pick 'save md5 file after copy' could be where arrow is on screenshot: :)

Image: https://i.ibb.co/L1STYF3/TOTALCMD-2021-03-09-22-31-13.jpg

BTW - always wonder if white text 'Verify' is by design or it is leftover from dark mode or so... ;)

I guess it would be useful option for some who sending data to another hdd or during copy big amount of data or for backups etc etc.
We can do it all manually of course, but if checksums are already done why to throw them...

Stay healthy and take care!