Proposal: TC should remember last sort order for each folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

orajo

Proposal: TC should remember last sort order for each folder

Post by *orajo »

I use many special folders in which I prefer sorting files by date or file name. It would be great if TC could remember column I've use to sort files and folders and if I enter to this folder later - use this sort order automatically.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Proposal: TC should remember last sort order for each fo

Post by *nsp »

orajo wrote:I use many special folders in which I prefer sorting files by date or file name. It would be great if TC could remember column I've use to sort files and folders and if I enter to this folder later - use this sort order automatically.
I support ability to store and recall sorting scheme and more flexible custom view !

Automatic switching should be optional.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Yes, it would be nice to store custom views or sort ordering per folder. But for now, you can do it per tab as a workaround.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The problem being, if you even bother to save your active tabs into a saved Tab list (to restore later) you will lose state.

Even Explorer has been able to save custom TabStops and positions for the last 12 years, on top of being able to recognize content of a folder to do an automatic display : e.g. multimedia.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

I support it if optional :)

Maybe, it would be nice as well to (optionally) remember Custom Columns views for certain folders (sometimes I have to switch it when I get into folders of image files, music files, video files, etc...)

Cheers
I Love Total Commander!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC keeps the sort order and view type per tab, not per folder. The problem is that folders constantly change - they get renamed, moved, deleted, new folders get created etc. I found it very annoying in Explorer when I wanted to view some files in a special way, then went to another folder and had to change the view again for each new folder...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I found it very annoying in Explorer when I wanted to view some files in a special way, then went to another folder and had to change the view again for each new folder...
The reason that any such features are inconvenient to use is that an efficient UI for controlling them is not present.

It would be convenient if the following properties could be persisted for individual folders if the user so chooses:
  • 1. View mode (details vs. thumbs, etc.)
    2. Column layout
    3. Sort order
    4. Filter
    5. Whether to apply the local settings immediately upon entering the folder or wait until an user-issued command to do so.
    6. Whether 1-5 should apply to the subfolders
I would prefer folder-local settings files ("folder.tc", perhaps) over a "centralized" data store.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
dhilgarth

Post by *dhilgarth »

I would like to support the suggestion by JohnFredC.
I know it is old, but this is constantly bugging me...
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

This should be doable up from TC 9.0 with View Modes and Auto Switch Modes.
Please see "Configuration" - "Options..." - "View Mode" - press Button "Help"... Same for "Auto Switch Mode"...

Only to get an impression what is doable with this modes see: viewtopic.php?p=329888#329888
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Sort directory automatically by date

Post by *tuska »

Sort directory automatically by date - examples:
viewtopic.php?p=337123#337123
viewtopic.php?p=337126#337126

See also:
viewtopic.php?p=253518#253518