Upgrade for "cm_SyncChangeDir"

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ingerard

Upgrade for "cm_SyncChangeDir"

Post by *ingerard »

Command "cm_SyncChangeDir" is reset if in the active panel go into the folder whose name is not in the other panel, which is not very inconvenient. Each time I have to call the command again. Please add one more parameter to the command - "work always".

cm_SyncChangeDir = 1 - Disable if there is no similar folder
cm_SyncChangeDir = 2 - Enabled always, even if there is no similar folder

Also output the status flag of the command "on / off", so that it can be used for external programs (scripts).

Illustrative examples:

As it is now - GIF1

As it would be convenient - GIF2
ingerard

Post by *ingerard »

Or make at least this option: If there is no similar folder on the other panel, then you can not go to the folder.

Because the option with automatic synchronization off is very inconvenient, especially when working with a large number of folders.
ingerard

Post by *ingerard »

I would very much like to see the synchronization as FreeCommander - "Linked browsing", located in the Folder → Linked browsing menu. Please make such an option.

I would be glad your answer to my suggestions.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Upgrade for "cm_SyncChangeDir"

Post by *wanderer »

ingerard wrote:cm_SyncChangeDir = 1 - Disable if there is no similar folder
cm_SyncChangeDir = 2 - Enabled always, even if there is no similar folder
Well, this might not be a bad idea. Sometimes you want to enter into a folder knowing that there is no equivalent on the other side and you don't wish for the SyncChangeDir flag to be reset. It would perhaps be better to have a new "flag" command (cm_SyncChangeDirSticky). With this command "enabled", SyncChangeDir flag will not be reset in case the same folder does not exist in the other panel. That way, one could have it as a button in the toolbar. Also (when the command is "enabled"), when moving "up" one level, TC would "cd" the other panel only if the folder names in both panels are the same.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re:

Post by *Fla$her »

ingerard wrote: 2017-12-28, 07:28 UTCI would very much like to see the synchronization as FreeCommander - "Linked browsing", located in the Folder → Linked browsing menu.
Support +++
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
It's very regret that instead of the non-switchable mode after the mismatch of directory names, was made a stub with the inability to open for the first time. It's hard to call it an alternative. I would like a normal solution.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Fla$her wrote: 2021-03-13, 00:31 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
It's very regret that instead of the non-switchable mode after the mismatch of directory names, was made a stub with the inability to open for the first time. It's hard to call it an alternative. I would like a normal solution.
It is an improvement, but i agree that something more advanced might me nice.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Bump for v.10.50
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Bump for v.11.00
Overquoting is evil! 👎
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Support.++
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This was already improved in Total Commander 10: When you try to enter a subdirectory, which doesn't exist on the other side, there is a beep and the directory change fails. When you THEN try again going to the _same_ folder, TC will disable cm_SyncChangeDir. I don't see how I could keep the function active when the directory change fails in the other panel - this would bring the two side out of sync.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
In this topic, an error beep or something similar was not requested. It requested synchronous entry into the directories of the same name in both panels without any interruptions and auto-disconnections, which is implemented in FreeCommander. The user wants to adjust the mode on and off by himself. It is very convenient when required.

I don't see any desynchronization here. If there is no directory of the same name, then there is no synchronous input. If there is, then there is. But disconnecting just because there is not, greatly hinders, and you have to spend a lot of extra time on re-enabling.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't see any desynchronization here. If there is no directory of the same name, then there is no synchronous input.
What should happen when the directory doesn't exist in the other panel? Should Total Commander just refuse to change directory forever? This would certainly confuse a lot of people.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
What I think is requested is that if cm_SyncChangeDir is enabled, TC never automatically turns it off. So each time the user makes a directory change, TC should try and change into the same folder in the opposite panel, if that folder exists. If it does not exist, TC should just proceed changing the source directory, but should let cm_SyncChangeDir stay enabled, so that if the user goes back into the parent directory (or if one or both directories are changed otherwise), then going into another directory that exist on both sides, then TC should do the synchronous change.

The disadvantage of such an approach is that the user may forget that cm_SyncChangeDir was enabled, and suddenly get unwanted synchronized directory changes. Therefore this new behavior should be optional - via a parameter for cm_SyncChangeDir or n new command cm_SyncChangeDirPermanent - like proposed in the first post.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see - maybe a mix of the two would be an idea, e.g. refuse to change directory on the first try when a directory doesn't exist, to warn the user that the function is still enabled. After that, don't warn any more until the function is turned off by the user. What do you think?