Multi-rename tool - target panel shortcut

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Multi-rename tool - target panel shortcut

Post by *hi5 »

Currently you can already use ..\ etc in the Rename mask to move a file one or more directories up while using the multi-rename tool, it would be great if you could use a shortcut - say [t] - or checkbox to rename and move the files to the target panel. (I searched the forum but couldn't find a similar thread yet, apologies if this has been asked in the past, feel free to post link to prior discussion)
TomTomturnaround

Post by *TomTomturnaround »

Hello,

I do realize I'm quite late to the party for an "answer" but actually I've been searching the forum b/c of a similar problem and - truth be told - I went under the assumption that such a possibility might already exist.

As for the renaming-and-moving problem I concur with the OP but would like to even go beyond that. Namely I would like to save such a target-panel [%T] rename-and-move-operation and then trigger/call it via a button to automatically rename and copy/move a large number of files from one directory to another.

For example that way one could save "hidden" media-files from a temporary browser-cache directory to a permanent target directory via the push of a button in the TC button bar.

Any suggestions if and how this is meanwhile feasible via the MRT or any other procedure using TC?

TomTom
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Being able to launch the MRT via a button/shortcut and use saved settings could be useful, interesting suggestion :-)

If there is a conflict with a filename it could simply show the usual "what do you want to do" dialog when you copy/move files (e.g. skip, overwrite, autorename etc)
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

MRT: MULTIRENAME my saved setting / Load Save configuration

Post by *Stefan2 »

Having the target panel path as [T]-Parameter in MRT is a nice idea.
I had never a need for this, and now [T..] is taken already as time related parameter.

But you can save and load the MRT settings via the F2-Load/save Button in MRT-Dialog. For example as name: my saved setting

That saved settings you can load also by a TC command which you can also call from a button. (or as user defined commando with additional possible keyboard shortcut)

Command: MULTIRENAME my saved setting
Parameters:
Start path:
Icon file: %Commander_Path%\WCMICONS.DLL
ToolTip: MULTIRENAME my saved setting

hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

@Stefan2 thanks, didn't realise MULTIRENAME was available as a command.

Perhaps the suggested [T] could be [MV] as in MoVe with some options? [MV] moves to target panel, [MV=predefined\path] (e.g. always "c:\temp\"
Perhaps allow for the target path/folder to be created on the fly so you can make use of time stamps for example or set parameters for overwrite, skip, autorename etc. Lots of possibilities.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Another thought: perhaps an "advanced mode" in the MRT tool might be idea. There could be a button to open the "advanced mode" setting, similar to the "OPTIONS >>" in the copy/move dialog the MRT would "expand" with further options.

That advanced section could have options where you can define actions AFTER the renaming process has successfully completed:
- Move files...
- Pack files...
- Select files... ( see http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=49133 )
- ... etc
TomTomturnaround

Re: MRT: MULTIRENAME my saved setting / Load Save configurat

Stefan2 wrote:That saved settings you can load also by a TC command which you can also call from a button. (or as user defined commando with additional possible keyboard shortcut)
Thanks, "Stefan2", for your suggestion to "buttonize" such a renaming operation. However, if I'm not mistaken, this would still be limited to an interactive renaming operation requiring the user to press "Start" in the MRT. And it would neither allow to insert the Target-Panel-path before the new file-names automatically so as to move them there - nor would it allow to auto-execute that stored renaming procedure on that same push of the "calling-button".

Or am I missing something here? As already mentioned, my goal would still be to automatically rename dozens of selected temporary files (without extension) from a browser-cache-dir to e.g. "*.jpg" - and then copy them to a permanent target-directory with the purpose of saving images that cannot be saved manually from the browser because the web-sites visited wouldn't allow manual saving via right mouse-button.

Amazingly enough a direct copy-button with "%P%S %T%S" with all the necessary path-parameters already implemented won't do the trick either because TC refuses to accept the internal copy-command as a command entry here - and the external "xcopy/robocopy"-command surprisingly enough will not allow to copy multiple selected files with auto-changed target-name to e.g. "*.jpg" at the same time (only single files or the complete folder).

Or does someone know a better external copy-command/program that would accept the necessary parameters to copy-rename those multiple selected files?

TomTom
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

VBScript: ForEachSelectedFileDO - Kopie to Target.vbs

Post by *Stefan2 »

2TomTomturnaround

You are right, that command will only load the MRT with the saved settings.

For your task

dozens of selected temporary files(without extension) from a browser-cache-dir
TO:
copy them to a permanent target-directory with "*.jpg"-extension

you could utilize a script (Batch/PoSh/VBS/AutoHotkey/...) like
- for each selected file in TCs "%L" temp file list
- -- copy current line/file to MyTarget with "*.jpg"-extension

For example a VBScript:

Code: Select all

'// TC Button:
'// --------------------------------------------------
'// TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
'// "%Commander_Path%\myTools\ForEachSelectedDO - Kopie to Target.vbs"
'// "%L" "X:\temp\mytarget"
'// C:\windows\System32\WScript.exe,2
'// ForEachSelectedDO - Kopie to Target
'// 
'// 
'// -1
'// --------------------------------------------------
'// 
'// Erklärung zu TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA >> https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=335758#335758
'// Explanation about "TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA" >> https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=335879#335879
'// 
'// Purpose:
'// -- Adust your Target directory
'// -- Select a few files
'// -- Execute this script
'// -- The selected files will be copied to your target and '.jpg' will be added to each copied file.
'
' Found at https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=337031#337031
'
'
Set FSO  = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set wsArgs = WScript.Arguments
If wsArgs.Count > 0 Then
	Set strTCTempFile = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile(wsArgs(0), 1)
Else
	MsgBox "Error"
	Wscript.Quit
End If
If wsArgs.Count > 1 Then
	strTargetDir = wsArgs(1)
Else
	strTargetDir = "X:\temp\mytarget"
End If
'
'
Do While Not strTCTempFile.AtEndOfStream
    strCurrFile = strTCTempFile.ReadLine
    if Right(strCurrFile,1) <> "\" then
	   'strBaseName = FSO.GetBaseName(strCurrFile)
		strName = FSO.GetFileName(strCurrFile)
       'FSO.CopyFile source, destination[, overwrite]
        FSO.CopyFile strCurrFile, strTargetDir & "\" & strName & ".jpg"
    end if
Loop
'
'END

TomTomturnaround

Thanks a lot, Stefan2, for this comprehensive scripting-solution and all the effort you took! I will certainly try it out.

Still, is it too much to ask that TC - in the long run - should be able to deal with such a relatively simple task by internal means? As I've already mentioned, the simple-most internal copy command would do the "trick" - if only it could be declared as a command in the TC-button-bar configuration-dialogue. And also a pathway via the MRT would be feasible. So I still support the OP's wish for a %T-Target-Panel option to insert the current Target-Panel-path and it would also be great if the MRT could somehow be invoked non-interactively via button to un-attendedly execute a stored MRT-operation.

TomTom
[/i]
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »