[REQ] Differentiate active / inactive panels more

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2tuska
That's also available without View Modes: Colors > Background/Background 2. That's been there for very long time (checked down to 7.04a).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

tuska wrote:Configuration - Options - View Mode:
a) Background
b) Background 2
F1 shows the details.
Nope, that's not what the original post (and my question) is about. This alternates line color in one panel. The question was about a different background color in the inactive panel.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Color distinction of TC panels

Post by *tuska »

What about with ...?
a) View Mode "GREEN", Background + Background 2 = same colour = green
b) View Mode "YELLOW",Background + Background 2 = same colour = yellow

Left panel: Show - Custom View Modes - GREEN | Button with command: cm_SrcViewModeList GREEN
Right panel: Show - Custom View Modes - YELLOW | Button with command: cm_SrcViewModeList YELLOW

This works as long as you navigate between folders and drives [in the same panel; CTRL+left/right is also possible].

If you use tabs, Custom View Mode may get lost and you have to assign the View Mode again.
Therefore, an Auto Switch Mode [e.g. for drives] might also be considered.

A button with command: cm_SrcViewMode0 resets the View Mode to default.

I give myself the answer:
Actually, the predicted is just a coloring of TC-panels.
However, I am convinced that distinguishing which TC panel is active is very easy by using strong colors.
A detailed description already exists above...
Therefore, I think that it is currently not possible to explicitly define a different background color in the inactive TC panel.
Another color is automatically present in the inactive window.
A continuity between the colors (background; active side: background, inactive side: background) can not be achieved in my opinion.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Keep background color for active/inactive panel

Post by *tuska »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC 9 will support different background colors in file panels.
svetlov wrote:Can this option be used to make an inactive panel always light-grey and an active panel always white? If yes, how?
There is a solution up from TC 9.0, but without using the Tab key AND without using a mouse-click to switch to the other panel.
Instead, a shortcut or a button must be used.

Example (Sorry for using other colors):
1. View Mode "Background_YELLOW",Background + Background 2 = same colour = yellow (for active panel)
2. View Mode "Background_GREEN", Background + Background 2 = same colour = green (for inactive panel)
3. Button with command: cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_YELLOW,cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_GREEN,cm_FocusTrg
4. Shortcut Alt+W for em_command: em_background-color_active-inactive_panel ->
4. Button with command: cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_YELLOW,cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_GREEN,cm_FocusTrg

Left panel active: D:\Data
Right panel inactive: I:\Data

When the button or the shortcut (Alt+W) is pressed, the right panel (I:\Data) is activated and highlighted in yellow.
At the same time, the left inactive panel (D:\Data) is highlighted in green.

If the button or the shortcut is pressed again, then the left panel (D:\Data) is activated and highlighted in yellow
with the background color (the color is taken over). At the same time the right inactive panel (I:\Data) is highlighted in green.

The active window always has the color yellow.
The inactive window always has the color green.

If the color is lost for some reason (eg because of an 'Auto switch mode'), then simply press the button/shortcut again.
If you want to remove the coloring then use a button with command: cm_SrcViewMode0 (View Mode-default for one panel) OR
cm_SrcViewMode0,cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewMode0 (View Mode-default for both panels).

---------
EDIT: mouse-click added
Last edited by tuska on 2018-02-02, 19:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Color distinction of TC panels

Post by *tuska »

Unfortunately I forgot to correct this statement above (it is too late to edit)
tuska wrote:What about with ...?

However, I am convinced that distinguishing which TC panel is active is very easy by using strong colors.
A detailed description already exists above...

Therefore, I think that it is currently not possible to explicitly define a different background color in the inactive TC panel.
Another color is automatically present in the inactive window.
A continuity between the colors (background; active side: background, inactive side: background) can not be achieved in my opinion.
Should be read as:
tuska wrote:What about with ...?

A continuity between the colors
- background                                 Configuration - Options - Color - Background + Background2
- active side: background                Title bar for file panels
- inactive side: background             Title bar for file panels
- Color of the column heading (!)  <-- this color is NOT changeable
can not be achieved in my opinion.
because there is a solution - see the previous post (without changing "color of the column heading" which is not possible IMHO)...
dindog

Re: [REQ] Differentiate active / inactive panels more

Post by *dindog »

support++
bump.
novellino

Post by *novellino »

Can you please help me?
You can explain clearly, how you can set two different colors for the background of the panels: one color for the active one and another color for the inactive one.
In the settings I can only change the color of the bar and not that of the window.
I get confused and I often have to use the "Go back" button. :shock:

Thank you very much
Windows 10 LTSC 2019_64 - TC 9.51 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Hi,
Is that what you want? Video (about 2 minutes)

Here is a detailed description (see 'Example').
Which point from there do you not understand or to which point do you need support?

Please see also detailed description for View mode... --> Configuration - Options... - View Mode <--
Overview: View Mode | Auto Switch Mode | Custom columns view

For the above example the following entries (relating to shortcut ALT+W) are required and you can use the two buttons below -> click on "Show".
I have not recorded the settings for the colors in View mode here, as I assume that you want to determine this yourself: Configuration - Options... - View Mode
In this example, the titles for the View modes would be as follows: Background_YELLOW and Background_GREEN.
Here is a PICTURE which shows the settings for the color backgrounds [click on the picture to enlarge the view].

usercmd.ini --> Add this in file "usercmd.ini" - entry is required as basis for the shortcut!

Code: Select all

[em_background-color_active-inactive_panel]
button=
cmd=cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_YELLOW,cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_GREEN,cm_FocusTrg
If the file usercmd.ini does not exist yet, please create it with a text editor, paste the text there and save the file.

wincmd.ini --> Add only "A+W=em_background-color_active-inactive_panel" in the [Shortcuts] section as shown below...

[Shortcuts]
A+W=em_background-color_active-inactive_panel

BUTTON for colour "setting" - Active window: YELLOW, inactive window: GREEN

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_YELLOW,cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_GREEN,cm_FocusTrg

wciconex.dll
cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_YELLOW,cm_FocusTrg,cm_SrcViewModeList Background_GREEN,cm_FocusTrg|Differentiate active/inactive panel || https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18448|ACTIVE window: Color YELLOW || INACTIVE window: Color GREEN

BUTTON for Default view (no colors); *View mode is reset*

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cm_50Percent,cm_FocusLeft,cm_SrcViewMode0,cm_SrcAllFiles,cm_FocusRight,cm_SrcViewMode0,cm_SrcAllFiles,cm_FocusLeft,cm_RereadSource

wciconex.dll,86
cm_50Percent,cm_FocusLeft,cm_SrcViewMode0,cm_SrcAllFiles,cm_FocusRight,cm_SrcViewMode0,cm_SrcAllFiles,cm_FocusLeft,cm_RereadSource|cm_SrcViewMode0 8500 Source: Default view mode (no colors or icons) || > cm_CommandBrowser

You can use the code to create a button as follows:
1. Click on "SELECT ALL" (to the right of CODE:)
2. CTRL + C = Copy to clipboard (press the CTRL-key and hold it down, then press the letter "C")
3. Make a right click on your buttonbar on an empty space [e.g. after the last button or between the buttons]
4. Click on menu item "Paste"
5. Explanation to TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA by Stefan2

Regards,
Karl

PS:
You can, for example, make a button with command: cm_SwitchDarkmode and then look at it,
what the view would look like in dark mode. [cm_SwitchDarkmode 2950 Turn dark mode on and off]

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 20H2 (OS build 19042.662) | TC 9.51 x64/x86
novellino

Post by *novellino »

Yes, this is what I was trying to do :D
First of all, I wanted to thank you for your help and your patience. With your clear guidance and references, I was able to activate what you proposed 8)

But I wanted a different solution :roll:
Is it possible to associate this function directly to the mouse click?
I would like that, when I select a panel window with the mouse, the background color change happens automatically, without having to press the Alt+W keys.
I would like to change the background color of the windows, the same way I can do with the active/inactive Tilebar panels.

Can you still help me?
Windows 10 LTSC 2019_64 - TC 9.51 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

novellino wrote: 2020-12-16, 10:39 UTC But I wanted a different solution :roll:
Is it possible to associate this function directly to the mouse click?
I would like that, when I select a panel window with the mouse, the background color change happens automatically, without having to press the Alt+W keys.
I would like to change the background color of the windows, the same way I can do with the active/inactive Tilebar panels.

Can you still help me?
I'm sorry, I am not aware of a solution.