Make Total Commander Self-contained.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JimmyTheBroker

Make Total Commander Self-contained.

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Hi guys,

I installed total commander and have made custom columns, commands, button bar icons etc. Currently I make changes on my personal computer and then need to do the same for my work computer (very annoying).
I'm curious about how I could streamline the process, so I don't have to keep making changes at both ends. Ideally, make changes on one TC, and copy them across to the others. (To Synchronize Custom Columns I need to find the wincmd.ini>Ctrl+F[CustomFields] and paste in the code from my newest version.)

A few things that I think may be relevant.
1. I know how to change environment variables.
(for windows 10 Start > System > Advanced system settings > Environment Variables…)

2. I installed TC in:
C:\totalcmd (Work Computer's Directory)
C:\Program Files (x86) (Personal Computer's Directory)

3. My "wincmd.ini" and "wcx_ftp.ini" are located in (for both Work and Personal):
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER

4. Ideally I would like to have a version of TC on a USB and a version on my Personal Computer, both of which have the same customizations.
(I'm guessing here but. With the USB, I would only need to set up the correct Environmental Variable whenever I jump onto a new machine?)

Ideally I would like to have "wincmd.ini" and "wcx_ftp.ini" located within the same directory as totalcmd (totalcmd is where I have been storing my plugins, icons, "Everything" from voidtools. I'm just not sure how to transfer things like "Directory hotlist" etc)

-------------------------------------------
Second question:
Is it possible to have the TC's Synchronize Directories (Asymmetric[Ticked]) to apply all changes from one Total Commander to another?
(Say from a USB to a personal computer, and then at a later date from personal Computer back to a USB?)
I could have Total Commander always running off a stick, but I would like to be able to backup the custom settings, and honestly would prefer to have it run off my personal computer when I'm home.

Thanks guys,
Jimmy

I got this idea from viewtopic.php?p=333550#333550:
a) 'shorten your path', e.g. FROM: D:\Daten\Programme\TotalCommander\TCD_USB-Stick\TC32-64USB ... TO: %COMMANDER_PATH%
b) make it independent of the drive, e.g. with portable use of TC
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can have your config files and all other TC files in TC directory, just put 'em there and add UseIniInProgramDir=7 key to Configuration section of wincmd.ini. Also you can redirect history sections to a separate INI outside of TC dir to exclude them from syncing.
JimmyTheBroker

MVV wrote:You can have your config files and all other TC files in TC directory, just put 'em there and add UseIniInProgramDir=7 key to Configuration section of wincmd.ini. Also you can redirect history sections to a separate INI outside of TC dir to exclude them from syncing.
Done. Also thanks.

Moved everything from roaming to the totalcmd directory
default.bar
default.br2
jpg-comment.ini
usercmd.ini
wcx_ftp.ini
wincmd.ini

I've been experimenting with moving the TC directory to other locations. seems to mostly work.
---------
New question (still related):
Moving the TC installed directory causes me to lose my plugins (they are within the totalcmd directory, so are my custom icons ([path]\totalcmd\PlugInsJames and [path]\totalcmd\icons)

Original wicnmd.ini
  • [ContentPlugins]
    0=C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd\PlugInsJames\exif.wdx64
    0_detect=...
    1=C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd\PlugInsJames\jpg-comment.wdx64
    1_detect=...
    0_date=1277954794
    0_flags=0
    1_date=1278518176
    1_flags=17
I had thought the following changes would have allowed TC to read the new directory location of the plugins ([path]\totalcmd\PlugInsJames I want the plugin location to move with the TC directory), Any ideas how to make the plugin path dynamic?

My attempt to fix wicnmd.ini
  • [ContentPlugins]
    0=[=tc.writetime.h.m.s]
    1=[=tc.file type]
    [ContentPlugins]
    0=%$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER\totalcmd\PlugInsJames\exif.wdx64
    0_detect=...
    1=%$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER\totalcmd\PlugInsJames\jpg-comment.wdx64
    1_detect=...
    0_date=1277954794
    0_flags=0
    1_date=1278518176
    1_flags=17
So happy!
JimmyTheBroker

Also if I have a copy of TC on a USB and on a hard-drive, how can I tell which one of the two is being ran?

Thanks.
So happy!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Use %COMMANDER_PATH% instead of hardcoded paths to plugins etc that are in TC dir, this will make TC dir portable.

You can use different e.g. color setups to distinguish local and portable TC instances...
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

TC on a USB and or on a hard-drive

Post by *tuska »

JimmyTheBroker wrote:Also if I have a copy of TC on a USB and on a hard-drive, how can I tell which one of the two is being ran?
Someday I found this code in a forum:

Code: Select all

cmd.exe /c "echo TC Drive=%COMMANDER_DRIVE% & echo TC Startup path=%COMMANDER_PATH% & echo TC INI File=%COMMANDER_INI% & pause"
Since I do not need that very often, I have integrated the code in the starter menu for me.

Regards
Karl
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

tuska,
In case of portable TC with INI in its dir it is enough to open Help - About to see paths to INI files and TC dir...
JimmyTheBroker

MVV wrote:Use %COMMANDER_PATH% instead of hardcoded paths to plugins etc that are in TC dir, this will make TC dir portable.

You can use different e.g. color setups to distinguish local and portable TC instances...
how do you do the colour thing?
So happy!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Redirect colors section to separate file that is NOT synchronized and setup different colors in different TC copies.