Save position does not work anymore in TC 9

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

3. Note how the width of the Name+Extension columns has grown.
4. Repeat this test (Click Configuration -> Save position, restart TC, observe further growth of Name+Extension columns)
5. Rinse and repeat. After each iteration of this test you will notice that the width of both the Name and Extension columns grows more and more and more..
I can confirm all of elgonzo's 4 tests, but expecially test 4 clearly shows that there is a bug somewhere.

This constant growing of the Name+Ext column only occurs when "Adjust tabs to window width" is disabled, it is not enough to just enable "Show file extensions directly after file name"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you use the option "Directly after file name", the position of the Extension column cannot be saved.
It is restored to a fixed percentage of the name/ext columns combined.
Thanks for the answer. This explains my initial finding. Seems that, in the meantime,
the interest in this topic has triggered a lot of other research with addittional findings, though. :wink:

Also, I do not completely understand the logic - even if the width of the extension column is not relevant,
saving the position would be useful. It simply looks better and less confusing when die header "Extension"
is not directly above something that is not an extension.
But this is not really important, I admit.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Unfortunately I have deleted all my older versions of TC, so I cannot examine if this "feature" was already present
in TC 8 or TC 7. I think I can remember that in an older TC the extension column could be decreased to almost zero
(but could not removed completely), so that it was virtually absent. And this setting could be saved and restored. I liked that.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can add that the perpetually expanding Name+Ext column does not occur in TC 8.52a - but the Ext column adjusts itself to a percentage of the combined Name+Ext column width.

The bug occurs already in TC 9.0 beta1 and in both 32- and 64-bit TC.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar